Sunday, April 13, 2014

A Sunday Review

This week's movie was Frozen. Yup. Finally saw it. I'm not really certain what to say. I guess my first thought after it was over was, "Why on earth did this movie become a cultural touchstone?" I mean, it's not that it was bad. It just wasn't nearly as fantastic as people have made it out to be. There were a few plot oddities. A couple of good plot twists. The music was lovely. But overall, I'm just not sure what the big deal is. I suspect I would have enjoyed it much more if I hadn't gone into watching it with the knowledge that it has become so popular. I was expecting a lot more, and I think high expectations kind of ruined it for me.



DCBS
Here are reviews of the DCBS comic books that I've gotten around to reading and reviewing, sorted by the original shipping date:
  • Mar 12th
  • Justice League of America #13 - As I suspected, but I'm really getting tired of this storyline and how long it's taking to play out. Just finish already.
  • Green Lantern Corps #29 - And, once again, everything ramps up a little more with another revelation.
  • Justice League 3000 #4 - And so the brutal secret comes out. And everybody is in danger yet again. Whee.
  • Smallville Alien #4 - So the Smallville universe is headed toward the Crisis on Infinite Earths. Whee?
  • Astro City #10 - There was no way I could predict the ending, because there seemed to be no way out. I'm pleased with what happened. This is a great book, one that nearly brought tears to my eyes yet again.
  • Beasts of Burden: Hunter Gatherers - Oh man. I wish this was the first issue in a new mini-series and not a one-shot! Especially since it ends on a part-cliffhanger. Excellent as usual, well worth getting if you like paranormal stuff and our furry friends at all.
  • Spongebob Comics #30 - I had a feeling that opening story was going to end that way. The usual stuff.



1 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

You are right. Frozen I saw in November, thought the differentiation of snow and ice were incredible. was pleased that the snowman was NOT the focus of the story, which the trailers had suggested. Good songs. And, of course, it turned the Disney "my prince will come" trope on its head. Damn thing will be on Broadway in 4 years, I predict.

But yes, I remember seeing Chariots of Fire RIGHT after it won Best Picture and being totally "Is that all there is?"

Did you see it on video? MUCH better on the big screen. (I've seen both.)