Sunday, July 13, 2014

A Sunday Review

I Was The Cat
My Netgalley preview book this week is I was the Cat by Paul Tobin and Benjamin Dewey. Allison Breaking is a freelance journalist asked to tackle an unusual story by an unusual client and his schemes going back centuries.

I got this from Netgalley as a preview and was actually surprised at just how neat it is. The stories are varied, the supporting characters are fleshed out and interesting. And the ongoing background tale is both hilarious and terrifying. You wonder just what Allison has gotten herself into. The ending is both satisfying and frustrating. I love Allison's paranoid friend, she's probably the best character in the book.

Anyway, this is worth getting. I believe it's currently being released as single issues, and a potential fan could get started by checking out the first issue. There's also a Four Page Preview at CBR. Otherwise, it's something you can pre-order on Amazon. Check it out.



This week's movie was Thor (2011). Hubby-Eric got it from the library, so of course at a crucial moment the movie stopped because the disc was so scratched up. Fortunately, we were able to get through it and watch the whole thing, unlike our effort with Hulk... *ahem* Anyway, Thor is a brash godling who looks forward to becoming king of Asgard, but his coronation is interrupted by a sneak attack and his reaction to it leads to his banishment to Midgard (Earth). I really enjoyed seeing the "magic is just advanced technology" thing. It worked for me. I wonder if the Asgardians could rebuild the bridge if they wanted to, or have they relied on existing technology so long they no longer can duplicate it? The Earth-side was funny, particularly Thor getting humbled by a couple of women, repeatedly. Loki struck just the right note with me as well: trying to do good but failing because he cannot get to the heart of what is right. It took me awhile to figure out why the older doctor (Selvig) was so familiar... he was Bill Anderson in Mamma Mia, and did fantastic in that role. The after-credit sequence promises some more of him, which I like. Overall, a decent little movie. I wish I'd popped up some popcorn to go with it.

Aside: Hubby-Eric and I are trying to get through the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe and finally catch up with the movies. We rewatched Iron Man (2008), attempted to watch The Incredible Hulk (2008) but the disc was bad. Iron Man 2 (2010) is on hold at the library. Then we'll see Captain America (2011) finally. Then The Avengers (2012). Hopefully we won't get any more bad DVDs from the library, but I'm not holding my breath. People aren't careful with DVDs they didn't pay for, which means the odds are always decent that we're going to get a heavily scratched DVD from the library.



DCBS
Here are reviews of the DCBS comic books that I've gotten around to reading and reviewing, sorted by the original shipping date:
  • Jun 4th
  • Aquaman and the Others #3 - Finally we start to get somewhere with this story. Last issue was treading water, this one brings the enemies to the forefront and ties the flashbacks into the present.
  • Earth 2 #24 - Hey, we're back to the original three again, sort of. I like the wonder kid, he's wise for his age. And Val, well, he's pretty cool too.
  • Green Lantern #32 - Uh, yeah, war. Durlies. Greenies. Whatever. Is this plotline done yet?
  • Swamp Thing #32 - Aquaman definitely comes off as a jerk in this one, but he also seems to be a guy who is willing to make the hard decisions to save the world. And the art was decent, so I'm happy overall, despite the negatives. I bought this because I thought it would be a different angle on the same events as the Aquaman book (that was how it was solicited). Instead it was a continuation. I'm not completely disappointed.
  • Justice League 3000 #7 - Ok, I admit I wasn't expecting THAT twist. So it worked. But will somebody please fill in Green Lantern?
  • Batman '66 meets Green Hornet #1 - Wait, do these guys know each others secret identities? Seems like they don't, but the snark between them makes it almost seem like they do, as well. Anyway, fun story.
  • Tiny Titans: Return to the Treehouse #1 - A neat little story, not enough Aqualad. It's good to see more of Franco and Baltazar's work on Tiny Titans.
  • Capt Action Cat #2 - You know, screwing up the timestreams is bad enough, but crossing realities really starts to make things confusing! Aw yeah, timestreams!



0 comments: