TV this week:
- Doctor Who: "Into the Dalek" - Well now. Once we got through the opening scenes and I figured out what was going to happen, I was expecting something entirely different. I really enjoyed what we did get. Clara's appearance was also not what I expected. Top-to-bottom, there were a lot of good bits that really worked in this one. And Capaldi's Doctor is really a jerk in a lot of ways, which only makes the series more interesting. I wonder what Rusty will be getting up to as he goes along. And then there's Missy... she was even scarier in this appearance, to me, than in the first one. Quite a ride.
This week's movie was The Avengers (2012). Ok, so I finally saw this movie, and Eric and I are finally through the first phase of the Marvel cinematic universe. Yeah, we're something like four movies behind, but that's ok. We'll catch up eventually. This was fun. Very long, but fun. I did have to pause the movie in the middle for a break, which I could not have done in the theater, so I'm glad I waited. My favorite bits involved Black Widow's moments of reading people perfectly, Hulk's casual smashing of Loki, and the post-credits sequence. At some point I'm going to have to write up what I liked about the other movies in Phase One, but right now... it was fun. I like having comic books come to life. I just wish DC could match Marvel's quality and output with something other than Batman and Superman.
DCBS comic books that I've gotten around to reading and reviewing, sorted by the original shipping date:
- Jul 30th
- Justice League #33 - Wow, I really don't like this version of the Doom Patrol. Jessica is interesting. Flawed but strong in her own way. I wonder what Victor is going to make of what he saw?
- Aquaman Annual #2 - Eh, it wasn't a perfect ending to the tale of the giant-born, but it worked ok. I liked having the second tale with Mera as the key. The whole thing was pretty solid. And if somebody needs a bad guy in the future, a stray giant-born could always be wandering around.
- Sinestro #4 - Soranik is gonna regret teaming up with ol' pa. But it's not like she has a choice. And she's the only reason to actually read this book.
- Smallville Special #5 - Zatanna and Constantine, in the Smallville universe. It's ok, but I'm not much into that side of the DCU and Brother Blood irritates me to no end.
- Grimm Fairy Tales: Warlord of Oz #3 - Wow, serious anatomical error in this one. I didn't know Dorothy was a boy (one panel, halfway through the book, she definitely has a package). Anyway, the story isn't terrible, it just isn't well-told and the art detracts from it because it's trying too hard to be a series of pin-ups. Ug.