Sunday, October 19, 2014

A Sunday Review

TV this week:

  • Doctor Who: "Flatline" - A truly menacing threat paired with a decent siege concept. Add in the hilarity of the problems with the TARDIS, and it's a powerful episode. Same writer as last week's strong episode. Get this guy to write more episodes.



DCBS
Here are reviews of the DCBS comic books that I've gotten around to reading and reviewing, sorted by the original shipping date:
  • Sep 10th
  • Justice League United: Futures End #1 - Wait, Vostok is on the league? Wow, that's unexpected. Oh yeah, and prison on Mars and such. What fun. And the villain isn't who I expected, either, but I'm sure we'll learn more.
  • World's Finest: Futures End #1 - For the record, I'm really bored with Fifty-Sue. I have barely seen any of her, but she's just boring. Let's move on to the next story.
  • Green Lantern Corps: Futures End #1 - Um, yuck? The cover telegraphed the ending, and the story... well, not so exciting.
  • Smallville Chaos #2 - That was a tad shocking. As for Eclipso, interesting. But the book is definitely living up to the title... four or five plotlines going every direction all at once.
  • Astro City #15 - Oooh, I really like Ellie. She's got a kick. I do wonder a little at the very end... it jumps and could easily be confusing. Usually this book is pretty solid with transitions. I wonder if the heroes still have Ellie's number? If they do, I hope it's on her terms.
  • Powers: Bureau #11 - Thank goodness there was a review of what happened previously in the book. Fortunately, the review helped it all come back pretty quick... and so this issue made sense. Major events unfolding here, but I'm curious about Walker's history mixed with what's happening now. And who knows what Deena will do with her new knowledge, but I wouldn't want to be in her way right now.
  • Doctor Who 11th #2 - Creepy themepark is creepy. And, although this is a done-in-one, there's clearly a lot more going on.
  • Capt Action Cat #4 - Too... many... characters... way too many to handle. But still, lots of fun.
  • Spongebob Comics #36 - That cover is truly disturbing. As is the power of friendship ending to what had seemed like a decent little Mermaid Man story. Eh, it was fun with some decent art. I'll live.
  • Sep 17th
  • Justice League: Futures End #1 - Vostok is cool in this, but other than that I can't find much to recommend it. Ug.
  • Trinity of Sin: Pandora: Futures End #1 - This was strange and a little off. But it could serve as an endnote to the book, if it was allowed to.
  • Green Lantern: New Guardians: Futures End #1 - Oh, ick. This wasn't a terribly strong story for me. It was, in fact, really depressing. I really hope the Future's End books are less real than Elseworlds, because I'm hating most of them.
  • Multiversity: The Society of Super-Heroes #1 - Very very strange, but oddly really cool as well. I was impressed with the world-building in general, and loved the way he brought in lots of characters and made them real in a few panels. An interesting book in what promises to be an interesting series of one-shots.
  • Infinite Crisis: Fight for the Multiverse #3 - Ok, the Two-Faced is a pretty creepy bad guy and Earth-17 isn't on my list of places to visit, ever. I liked Selena's role in this one, particularly toward the end. And Harold likes a ruse, lovely!
  • Scribblenauts Unmasked #9 - Dang, this book is too cute for words. I love that it's the Kingdom Come Aquaman they call on to fight Shadow-Aquaman. There's a twist for you. Overall, this book was a great deal of fun with lots of Aquaman to keep me happy.
  • Fables #144 - Oh dear. What happens to Ozma. Wow.
  • George Perez: Sirens #1 - I have no idea what that was about, but I'm sure my husband will enjoy the pretty art.
  • Peanuts V2 #21 - Fun stuff, as usual. I've always been a fan of Schroeder.



0 comments: