Sunday, November 30, 2014

A Sunday Review

DCBS
Here are reviews of the DCBS comic books that I've gotten around to reading and reviewing, sorted by the original shipping date:
  • Oct 1st
  • Justice League #34 - I don't trust Luthor, but neither does most of the league, apparently. At least he's being mostly honest with them.
  • Aquaman and the Others #6 - A new starting point for the book and the team. The jealousy is showing on Mera... Aquaman best not forget she was a red lantern, once.
  • Green Lantern/New Gods: Godhead #1 - Wait... wasn't this the plot of one of the Futures End books? Remaking a population? You know, I really don't like how this is starting out.
  • Green Lantern #35 - I'm not enjoying the deaths in this. What is it about modern comics that you have to have a shocking death to make anyone care enough to read? I'd prefer a good story, instead. Why can't we have that, huh?
  • Flash: Season Zero #1 - I'm ok with the show, and the comic is very much based on the show. It's not really my thing, but it's not bad. I'm guessing people who enjoy the show will be interested in the comic.
  • Justice League 3000 #10 - I originally thought this was a mini series. Now I'm just not sure what to make of it. But this issue is a great jumping off point. I wish we hadn't ordered the next couple of issues.
  • Batman '66 meets Green Hornet #5 - I thought for sure Green Hornet would be saving Batman and Robin, but hey, this works even better. And the whole concept of how Hornet convinces Batman to work with him was also pretty good. A lovely, silly book.
  • Tiny Titans: Return to the Treehouse #5 - Silliness abounds in this one. It's even more silly than the Scooby-Doo crossover on Paradise Island, and that's saying something.
  • Spider-Man 2099 #4 - Pretty cool issue. I like how Miguel takes out the bad guy. And the interaction between the main characters is also pretty nifty.
  • Doctor Who 11th #3 - So the Doctor takes Alice to see a singer her mum loved, but he's not what they expected. If I had a time machine, I'm fairly certain I'd be one of those time travelers who went to see the Beatles at the Cavern Club. Also, nice set up for future tales with the "what does the Doctor want" thing.
  • Usagi Yojimbo: Senso #3 - This is a mash-up tale I just would never have thought of, and it just gets better and better (if a bit sad in moments) as it goes along. I adore Sakai's work.
  • Fiction Squad #1 - I'm torn between rolling my eyes and squeeing at this one, although I'm kind of leaning slightly towards the happy. It's definitely yet another take on fairy tales and such, but mixing it with the grim and noir attitude makes for a funny attempt. We'll give it a few more issues, if only because Oz content is promised.



0 comments: