Sunday, January 04, 2015

A Sunday Review

DCBS
Here are reviews of the DCBS comic books that I've gotten around to reading and reviewing, sorted by the original shipping date:
  • Nov 5th
  • Aquaman and the Others #7 - Well, that's an awkward twist in the Operative's life. I'm still mixed feelings about this book, but overall I like it.
  • Earth 2 #28 - A four-part origin story of characters that I'm still not sure I'm interested in. I find Darkseid in general to be a fairly boring character most of the time. And this... eh. Let's see how these characters are used.
  • Green Lantern #36 - More of the massive crossover. In this one, Hal finally learns that Kyle is alive. Nifty. I love the variant cover... pity the insides weren't as good.
  • Justice League 3000 #11 - Aside from finding the art sloppy and the characters mostly annoying, this isn't really *that* bad a book. I'm not loving it, but since we're still ordering it, I guess I'll try to enjoy the ride.
  • Flash: Season Zero #2 - Creepy clowns! I'm kind of ... underwhelmed by the idea of this issue. It seems to be way too much, all at once. Definitely not the way the series is introducing things.
  • Tiny Titans: Return to the Treehouse #6 - Ah yeah, treehouses! A slight dearth of Aqua-characters in this one, however. I'm not sure I want to count Aqua-orange as a sighting. At least both Aquaman and Aqualad are on the cover.
  • Scooby-Doo Team-Up #7 - I really didn't think this would work. I'm still not entirely sure it did. But Scooby-Doo and the Flintstones? Well, it's something new, I guess. And I loved the joke about Barney and breakfasts.
  • Fiction Squad #2 - This is getting a little more sensible and a little more fun. Witches vs Queens? Lovely. Dorothy is... irritating. But hey, a good murder mystery with decent cliffhangers, I like it.
  • Doctor Who 10th #4 - I like Gabby, she's got some sass. I'm not sure I like the journal/letter style of her narrating, but I'll get used to it I guess. I'm amused by the title the apprentice gives to the Doctor... Heh. Good issue.
  • Usagi Yojimbo: Senso #4 - Wow, there were some intense bits in this one. Hebi's actions were a surprise. And the regrets of Usagi and Tomoe, ouch. This one stops on a dreary note. I do wonder what will happen next and how closely it will follow the classic tale.
  • Nov 12th
  • Justice League United #6 - Mostly a big old fight sccene with a couple of quiet moments thrown in. I think I kind of like the switching between Adam and Alanna.
  • Green Lantern Corps #36 - Ok... so, John? I'm not sure I understand how he could be one, but that's just the whole nonsense continuing on. This whole crossover is building little pieces of slightly interesting stuff mixed with a whole bunch of boring.
  • World's Finest #28 - I'm not sure why this is relevant, as it seems like everyone dies before the book even started. So I'm getting confused by these flashbacks.
  • Arrow Season 2.5 #2 - Brother Blood. I was kind of hoping that plotline would go away, but you never can get rid of something as insidious as that, I guess. Oh well.
  • Smallville Chaos #4 - So, after all is said and done, it's not nearly said and done yet. In fact, there's a whole new series after this one to tell us what's going to happen next. Why not just have it all one series? Why the series of mini-series?
  • Star Trek: Harlan Ellison's City on the Edge of Forever #5 - A strangely satisfying conclusion to the story. Yeah, it hurts, but it also had some very good bits, like the old soldier. Pity Harlan wasn't able to contribute the essay, but you can't control some circumstances.
  • Spongebob Comics #38 - Someone is even worse than Squidward? Ha.



0 comments: