Sunday, February 01, 2015

A Sunday Review

DCBS
Here are reviews of the DCBS comic books that I've gotten around to reading and reviewing, sorted by the original shipping date:
  • Dec 3rd
  • Aquaman and the Others #8 - I'm intrigued at this one. I don't like the Operative, and I'm sure he's capable of what he's been accused of, but I wonder if he really did it.
  • Earth 2 #29 - Ok, this is just a bunch of Elseworlds. I get it.
  • Sinestro #7 - As I recall, Soranik was kidnapped by Sinestro then remained for reasons of her own. The whole traitor charge doesn't ring true.
  • Green Lantern #37 - Oh Hal, what have you done, showing Black Hand that particular place?
  • Justice League 3000 #12 - Poor Beetle. I'm not sure how I feel about this book, but Blue Beetle and Booster Gold are a definite improvement.
  • Flash: Season Zero #3 - Way too many people with powers concentrated in one place.
  • Doctor Who 11th #5 - I actually quite like the alien in this one, and I'm warming up to Jones, who started out pretty pathetically. Alice is simply an excellent character all around.
  • Twilight Zone #10 - At this moment, I believe I know how this story will end. If it doesn't end that way, I'll be satisfied. If it does, I'll be ok, but mildly disappointed.
  • Fiction Squad #3 - Frankie is really in the wrong story. And Simon... sheesh. As soon as Frankie said to tail her, I knew it would happen.
  • Dec 10th
  • Justice League United #7 - Still a bit of a mess of a story with all the Legionnaires to keep track of along with the JL crew. At least there's a goal now.
  • World's Finest #29 - More of the past of a different universe. I can't even tell when this is supposed to be taking place.
  • Green Lantern Corps #37 - Wait... did Stewart just promise to murder innocent civilians to get back at somebody who murdered innocent civilians? I'm not sure I like how this is going.
  • Astro City #18 - An origin story, and a good one. Maybe not the best issue of this book, but since the worst issue of this book is tons better than the best issue of most other superhero books... anyway. Good stuff.
  • Little Nemo: Return to Slumberland #3 - This is a really fun one. But then, any time you have a tessalating tower, it's gonna be fun. I'm particularly amused by the multiple pages that are reversible.
  • Spongebob Comics #39 - Some of the gags were fun. No Mermaid Man, but it was ok overall.

My Kindle book this week was The Secrets of Ordinary Farm by Tad Williams and Deborah Beale. The sequel to The Dragons of Ordinary Farm, this book takes place the following summer and starts to show off more of the talents of the children. I would not try to read this without reading the first book, there is way too much that references the first book and far too much to understand... As for the story: with intrigue all around them, can Tyler and Lucinda hold the farm together? Tyler is a true teenager in this, and Lucinda has some moments where she nearly makes things much easier for everyone, until Tyler gets in the way. Like the first book, as soon as I finished this one I wanted the next one. Fun, but read The Dragons of Ordinary Farm first.

0 comments: