Sunday, September 25, 2016

A Sunday Review

DCBS
Here are reviews of the DCBS comic books that I've gotten around to reading and reviewing, sorted by the original shipping date:
  • May 25th
  • DC Universe Rebirth #1 - Well, finally. I probably could say a lot about this, but honestly... my biggest annoyance about this is that I cannot find my copy of Watchman to reread. I've got no problem with most of it, and I actually like the way it has taken the loss of continuity and given a narrative reason for it. I also have no problem with Jackson's two panels, and I hope to see more of him in future issues of DC books. My biggest Aquaman-related complaint is the fact that Aquaman and Mera aren't married, but that's been an issue for awhile. Overall, a promising end to "New 52" that will hopefully allow for some good stories going forward. Hey, a girl can dream.
  • Justice League #50 - I have been so bored with this storyline from start to finish, all I could think was, "thank goodness this is over". Of course, it's probably not over. There's going to be callbacks and references to it, and Superman's latest death is going to be a big deal. Bleah.
  • DC Comics Bombshells #13 - Lois Lane, Penguin, and the Batgirls. Fun stuff. Nothing super, that's coming in future issues for me, but fun.
  • Batman '66 Meets the Man From UNCLE #6 - And the heroes win! As do the villains! Sort of! Lots of camp in this, but I enjoyed it. Looking forward to seeing Steed and Mrs. Peel team up with the Dynamic Duo.
  • Scooby-Apocalypse #1 - As a fan of Scooby since childhood, I knew this was going to be a difficult book to tolerate - but it wasn't. I was really amused at this twisted version of my favorite detectives. Is it good? Maybe not, but it's really funny and a different take on the gang. I enjoyed it.
  • Back to the Future #8 - Nicely confusing tale, with Marty and Doc heading back to the future yet again. The way of reaching critical speed in this one is very disturbing and I'm not really sure this is going to turn out happily. We'll just have to see.
  • Dirk Gently: A Spoon Too Short #4 - That has to be the funniest bait ever conceived. But then, this is Dirk Gently, who really doesn't think in the same patterns as most people.
  • Doctor Strange #8 - Of course there's something in the cellar that can handle this. Of course. Why not?
  • Doctor Who 9th #2 - A few twists and turns in this one, as the Doctor finds out more about the Slitheen than expected while Rose gets a lesson in politics and revenge. Looking forward to seeing how the hunt turns out!
  • Doctor Who 10th #2.10 - So the TARDIS is sort of breached by something and a companion gets trapped in a bubble dimension within the TARDIS itself. That's kind of spooky. Not as spooky as the ending, though, when we revisit Dorothy Bell and Anubis and things aren't all going as smoothly as they appear to be going on the surface. Not a lot happened in this issue, but it feels like important set up for something.
  • Doctor Who 12th #2.6 - A brand new adventure on a strange human colony! Excellent! And the Doctor steals a bass while chasing a man accused of murder. Lovely! This feels very 12th Doctor to me already, so I think I'll just sit back and enjoy the show.



0 comments: