Sunday, February 19, 2017

A Sunday Review

DCBS
Here are reviews of the DCBS comic books that I've gotten around to reading and reviewing, sorted by the original shipping date:
  • Jul 6th
  • Future Quest #2 - My lack of detailed familiarity with the characters makes this book oddly more interesting. I know there is backstory, but I don't know it. So what I'm reading is fascinating - but I'm not emotionally connected yet. I'm looking forward to finding out more. Great book.
  • Peanuts: Friends Forever 2016 Special - A solid little collection. I feel for Peppermint Patty, having to wear a dress. I despise dresses and hate wearing them for even a little while. The ending of that story was a beautiful moment for me.
  • Doctor Who Supremacy of the Cybermen #1 - Four Doctors, four storylines, lots of companions and a visit to Karn. It's a promising start... but a bit confusing as to how the storylines will converge. And, for that matter, when certain events happen in relation to the tv series. I'll just wait and see, shall I?
  • Jul 13th
  • Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps Rebirth #1 - Hal's hard-traveling villain schtick is finally over? Good. I was getting a bit bored with it. As for the rest - well, it's interesting that he decided to do what couldn't be done. Very Hal Jordan-y. But I'm guessing there will be consequences. I'll find out when I get to the new series, I guess.
  • Earth 2 Society #14 - A possible solution, but if it fails, everyone dies. That really does make for a compelling bit of tension. Add in the personal reasons behind Batman's interest combined with the current villain's unwitting use of a very important person - and wow, a pretty good tale with a nice punch at the end.
  • DC Comics Bombshells #15 - Now *THAT'S* a cover. Whew. Oooh-la-la! Arthur and Mera. The story picks up with the two romancing as Mera continues to heal. But all is not well, and she's reminded of duty even while she tries to enjoy her time with Arthur. One thing I really liked about this issue was the idea of Arthur singing to her. She seemed to enjoy it, so we have an Aquaman with a nice voice? Lovely. In any case, we get a little more of Mera's history in this one, which was also nice. Oh yeah, and the rest of the issue had some Harley and Ivy and Batwomen and stuff.
  • Doctor Who 4th #4 - With Sarah Jane out of the picture, the Doctor has a new companion to run around with for the extent of the story. As usual, the Doctor tries to take the high road, but it's also an uphill battle. And, as usual, there's a wrinkle. But then there's the cliffhanger. Oh Nellie, that's going to be interesting.
  • Doctor Who 10th #2.12 - Wow, that was a depressing end. Lots of creative problem-solving, but in the end the one person who needed to be saved wasn't. I thought the bit with Gabby figuring out that the Doctor had already left and come back was a particularly interesting moment between the two. She's developed into quite a companion.
  • Back To The Future #10 - A wonderful catch-up issue, in which we find out what happened to Doc Brown and why he lost his memories. All while an outside threat slowly becomes more threatening. I'm not seeing much of anything wrong with this book.
  • Legends of Oz Tik-Tok And Kalidah #3 - Well, the door led the trio into Ix, which is a well-known place from the Oz books. The strange girl is safe, but what will happen to her protectors? This one left me sad, but I hope that someday we'll find out why this was an important little chapter in this version of Oz.
  • Rough Riders #4 - Aliens, Teddy Roosevelt, and a bunch of history that isn't what we learned in school. I love it. This book has great art, a ripping tale of a story and some fun moments in history to cover. Can't wait to see more.
  • Spongebob Comics #58 - No Mermaid Man, but some truly surreal moments with Patrick. This book is entirely what you bring to it.

0 comments: