Tuesday, June 06, 2017

A Hugo Review: Best Graphic Story - Monstress, Volume 1: Awakening

Monstress, Volume 1: Awakening is about a young woman trying to figure out her history.

The art in this is Manga through-and-through, and the writing owes a lot to Japanese comics as well. It's a style I enjoy, but the story in this didn't interest me much. We have a hero who is damaged - in more than one way - and is utterly unlikable. There's a lot of potential, but I just didn't feel much at all while reading it.

The good: Some beautiful artwork and I love the cats. The story unfolds slowly, but there's a lot of depth there.

The bad: I just have no interest whatsoever in the story or the main character. There's a lot of blood and gore that seems pointless. But mostly it's the fact that I had to force myself to keep reading that makes this one not really Hugo-worthy for me.

Conclusion: This goes to the bottom of my ballot. Like Black Panther, it has beautiful art but isn't a story I enjoy. Maybe Ms. Marvel will stay at the top, after all.

Best Graphic Story: I've read Ms. Marvel, Monstress, Black Panther, The Vision and Saga. I need to read Paper Girls.

0 comments: