Sunday, June 04, 2017

A Sunday Comic Books Review

DCBS
Here are reviews of the DCBS comic books that I've gotten around to reading and reviewing, sorted by the original shipping date:
  • Nov 2nd
  • Aquaman #10 - So Mera is the focus of a nasty prophecy, huh? Why am I not surprised. I love that she's questioning herself and her relationship with Arthur while at the same time determined to make it work. I also love the return of Joanna, who is sharing intel with Mera on multiple levels. This issue fit together nicely, with Mera's thoughts on each problem she's facing and the whole monitoring by N.E.M.O., which is a stupid name but Aquaman comics have a history of secret organizations with stupid names. Again, I want to read ahead to see what happens next.
  • Batman '66 Meets Steed and Mrs Peel #5 - I loved both Robin's bluff and Batman getting Mrs. Peel to use his utility belt. Fortunate that the stronger member of each team was able to hold on to both the trap door and their partner. I don't really have much more to say about this except that it was a fun read.
  • DC Comics Bombshells #19 - A big ol' story about the Bat girls, along with the origin of Two-Face. It's not bad, but it's not the part of the DC Bombshells Universe I'm interested in, so for me it was just average. Let's see more Mera.
  • Green Lanterns #10 - So the ring is taken and now what? Is this going to be a good villain, or someone annoying? Will the Phantom Ring get destroyed by the end of the storyarc, or will this be a new status quo of the DCU? There were a couple of good moments in this issue, including Jessica connecting with the girl she saved. But mostly it was just an average issue.
  • Justice League #8 - I'm not finding this book terribly inspiring. First of all, there's the sadness over a single person being killed. It's unrealistic that only one person died in all that - during the event hundreds of people around the world would have had heart attacks or whatever and died of natural causes... we saw that with the Seattle earthquake. There was a single death during the earthquake, but it could never be determined if it was due to stress from the quake or would have happened anyway. This kind of thing would be the same. It would literally be a miracle if only one person died. Then there's the hack. I'm not sure what could hack a green lantern ring, but if it turns out to be the dad/husband taking revenge from his garage I'll just be rolling my eyes for the next few issues. This isn't a *bad* book, despite my nits, but I'm not finding it to be terribly great.
  • Spider-Man 2099 #17 - This feels like it's getting back to a storyline I can understand and enjoy, instead of a storyline that makes my head really hurt. Miguel is definitely being stupid, as there are people he can call in, and he even knows it. If he hadn't acknowledged it... well, it would have weakened the story. So I'm happy with this book again, for the moment. Let's see how long that lasts.
  • Rough Riders #7 - I love Roosevelt taking his revenge on the other gentlemen at the end of the story, but I'm not sure about the Annie and Edison twist. This has been a fun book, and I *think* we ordered all the upcoming issues, so I hope to be reading more about these characters in the future.
  • Nov 9th
  • Earth 2 Society #18 - While it wasn't hard to figure out that the world was reforming, I wasn't sure why the wonders were being attacked while in it. I'm still not sure why they were being attacked, except that maybe they didn't fit into the world that Fury imagined? I'll just have to keep reading to find out.
  • Scooby Apocalypse #7 - Finally out of the Mall-Mart, but the crew has lost Scooby. At least there wasn't an annoying Scrappy back-up in this issue. Scooby again shows that he's made of sterner stuff than is apparent on the surface and Velma shows a little bit of humanity, then quickly loses it again. I really am enjoying this book despite the very strange take on old favorite characters.
  • Back To The Future #14 - Of course someone would prey on Marty's confusion about multiple timelines. And of course he'd use the time machine. And ... wait, are those multiple Martys? How did they get convinced to do the bad guy's dirty work?
  • Dirk Gently: Salmon of Doubt #2 - That got really bizarre really fast. I'm not sure, but I think this issue is explaining why there are multiple versions of Dirk. I really don't know what to make of it, but hopefully it'll pull together more once we get further into it. I love Sally's talk with young Dirk.
  • Spongebob Comics #62 - A Mermaid Man movie called "Clash of the Sandals"? Oh dear. Other than that, not much Mermaid Man action in this one. The first story, with Squidward, Patrick and SpongeBob trapped in a museum, was amusing, though I kept expecting it to turn into Night at the Museum. Other stories were fun, in the usual SpongeBob way. A good little book for fans.

0 comments: