Sunday, July 02, 2017

A Sunday Comic Books Review

DCBS
Here are reviews of the DCBS comic books that I've gotten around to reading and reviewing, sorted by the original shipping date:
  • Jan 4th
  • Aquaman #14 - Well, that went well. While I can almost accept the US government would mutate it's own soldiers into these killers, I'm not sure how they would be able to infiltrate Atlantis so easily unless they'd already been doing recon there for a long time. So from that angle, I'm a little disturbed by the group of assassins. I'm annoyed they managed to kill a couple of good characters, but I'm glad Mera finally got off up her butt and helped and I thought tying the attack in with the way Aquaman tracks the signal was also good. This book, so far, is holding together very nicely.
  • Justice League #12 - So... we get Max Lord's new origin story in the Rebirth Universe. I'm not disappointed, but not really overwhelmed, either. It works, I guess. The face-off with Waller was a good way to show it off. I guess I'm glad I'm getting the miniseries this ties into, because I'd be pretty annoyed to be a regular Justice League subscriber and have the league pushed aside for this.
  • Justice League vs Suicide Squad #3 - The artist on this book keeps leaving Aquaman out of the group shots, which I find extremely annoying. Beyond that, it's an ok issue.
  • Green Lanterns #14 - Ok, I like the way this one ends. I'm a little surprised at what the Indigo power did to the Phantom Lantern, but the rest... well, very interesting. And that last little "That's not me!" was a nice touch to make this more of a story.
  • DC Comics Bombshells #21 - I'm not entirely sure what happened here, but I kind of like the new cybernetic "gods" and wish they were on the good guys' side. Eh, we'll just have to see where this goes.
  • Spider-Man 2099 #19 - I shouldn't laugh at a killer like Elektra, but I laughed. She's a bit over-the-top competent, but this was exactly the right moment for her to do what she does best. Now, the Tempest plotline, that's a bit more confusing. I'm guessing we have a little more time travel happening there? Well, guess I'll just have to read and find out.
  • Jan 11th
  • Titans #7 - Yay, two people from different realities get to chat and find out they aren't entirely alone in the universe. I enjoyed Garth's part in this, helping to build the Titans Tower. I love that they found themselves a lawyer to help figure out all the sticky legal messes. These books tend to ignore that side of things.
  • Justice League vs Suicide Squad #4 - I supposed that's one way to take out Lobo. As for the rest, they seemed to have some luck. But Killer Frost going after Max alone was a bad idea. I'm wondering what happened to the storyline of Wonder Woman killing Max because he was controlling Superman and making him kill. It seems like Max's powers are slightly different this time around. I'm getting all the timelines confused now. It would be nice to have one stable reality in the comics for a few years.
  • Earth 2 Society #20 - This is progressing nicely, with the Bat-family doing what they do best while the Wonders have a wonderful time in the limelight - well, not so wonderful. The entire city is terrified of them, and I only can speculate how that will work out in the end. I'm amused at the Ultra-Humanite's secret weapon. I was wondering where he'd gotten to.
  • Scooby Apocalypse #9 - Wow, a relatively calm issue, with the crew foraging and exploring while Velma hides her deep dark secret and makes a really bad decision. I was disappointed to have another Scrappy-Doo backup story, as I'm barely interested in the character at all and hope he gets hit by a truck before he catches up with the gang.
  • Doctor Who 3rd #4 - Of all the possible villains in a Doctor Who story, this is one of the more amusing ones to see again. The fact that he's also stealing Time Lord tech to make his own time machine is just the icing on the cake. I like that this came out after we were able to watch Enemy of the World, since it was found in 2013. I'm just overall enjoying this story.
  • Doctor Who 10th #3.1 - The Doctor and his companions are in trouble - or in an alternate universe, which is just about the same thing. I found it strange that the Doctor ended up as a bum, and Gabby as an overworked waitress, but Cindy is a gal with love and a very strange dog that isn't a dog. Along with the multiple bodies, that final splash page made me think Autons.
  • Doctor Who 11th #3.1 - This starts out as a tribute to David Bowie via the "Jones" character, and turns into the first part of some type of adventure that has to do with the Doctor's long life. The opening was nutso, and odd on so many levels that I'm not entirely sure what I was reading. Still, it's interesting, if a bit strange.
  • Doctor Who 12th #2.13 - I like Julie, it would be fun to see her in a few more stories. I kind of hope she wins her duel with the Doctor. I also liked the Doctor using his own advanced technology to drive off the baddies. It's not always pure wits for the win, sometimes the Doctor can cheat a little.
  • Spongebob Comics #64 - The Mermaid Girl story was absolutely ridiculous, but I enjoyed it anyway. The revelation of who she was living with was even funnier than the fact that two people who could have been her were living at the retirement home. The inadvertent Mermaid Man marathon was also a nice touch. Poor Sandy.

0 comments: