Sunday, August 13, 2017

A Sunday Comic Books Review

DCBS
Here are reviews of the DCBS comic books that I've gotten around to reading and reviewing, sorted by the original shipping date:
  • Apr 5th
  • Aquaman #20 - Wow, Mera is really upset at the Aquamarine for killing Dead Water's latest host that way. And that was only the first half of the book. The sickening realization by our intrepid agents of what's in the water and how Dead Water couldn't have been created the way Aquaman thought he was... well, much more fascinating. I am only reading these comics as fast as I am because I want to see what happens next in Aquaman.
  • Justice League #18 - Some plot movement in this one, at least, as we get yet another villain. I wondered, but you never really know, do you? So what did the heroes just do, and what is going to happen to the world next thanks to their efforts?
  • Green Lanterns #20 - Well, I'm fairly sure how this is going to finish up. What I'm more interested in is how the other Green Lanterns are reacting to a Guardian on Earth.
  • DC Comics Bombshells #25 - Batvampire and the Suicide Squad versus Nygma and ancient evil. Lovely stuff, if not really my thing. Heck, the back-up story was much more intriguing for what it was setting up. This is a great universe with lots more to explore. As an aside, our copy of this issue was misbound - it was off center so the cover was skewed - anyone else have the same problem?
  • Doctor Who Ghost Stories #1 - Well, I wasn't terribly fond of the Doctor Who special in which Grant/Ghost appeared, although it had its moments. Still, it's kind of nice to revisit the family and yeah, a quest involving them isn't a bad thing. I guess I'll just read and enjoy it.
  • Apr 12th
  • Titans #10 - Nice to see Bumblebee kicking butt and taking names. And it looks like this story leads into another crossover. I hope we ordered and got all the issues involved that we wanted... I guess I'll find out when I get there.
  • Super Powers #6 - That is, by far, the cutest Darkseid I've ever seen. And he's somehow even cuter with a starro on his face being bopped through wormholes. This book is the definition of "cute".
  • Scooby Apocalypse #12 - We already know that Velma's brother is a total nutjob, thanks to the back-up last issue. And now we also know that one of her other brothers is dead. And here she is, at the nutjob's door. In the meantime, downtown Seattle appears to be a monster shrine of some sort. The less said about the back-up story, the better.
  • Spider-Man 2099 #22 - Wow, Lyla rarely gets involved in the story so deeply, but it was actually nice to see what at first appeared to be a subplot where she was basically the star of the show. Nice issue.
  • Planet of the Apes/Green Lanterns #3 - Well, this is heating up nicely. Sinestro is, indeed, not human. And everyone in a battle with Cornelius in an interesting way to get things ramped up.
  • Doctor Who 11th #3.4 - The very confusing storyline featuring the past stealing from the future and multiple versions of multiple characters at different points in their timelines ends neatly with some silly jokes and a very dangerous weapon the Doctor has as a companion. I'm ok with it, but it could have been less confusing. I wonder if some of these storylines read better as trades?
  • Doctor Who 12th #3.1 - Nice to see Hattie again, and I enjoyed the "pre-story" underwater. I like the idea of recycling a planet, but Quarks? Really? Going back in time to find the best fish and chips sounds like a lovely idea.
  • Torchwood #2.3 - Still a wee bit confusing, but I'm getting a better sense of the story now. The flashback had a villain I really wasn't expecting to ever see in Doctor Who again in any form... Vervoids? Really? Still, pretty cool.
  • Spongebob Comics #67 - I like the cover to this one, with a kind of old west/prospector feel. No Mermaid Man that I could see, so otherwise it's just a standard issue.

0 comments: