Sunday, September 10, 2017

A Sunday Comic Books Review

DCBS
Here are reviews of the DCBS comic books that I've gotten around to reading and reviewing, sorted by the original shipping date:
  • May 3rd
  • Aquaman #22 - Ha. Mera had the same thought, and same complaint, as I do. Why blow it up when you can talk? Ok, I admit, there wasn't a lot of time to act in this case, but destroying the portal seemed a bit extreme in the end. If Aquaman had convinced Tethys to stop the signal, I'm sure he could have found another way to dispose of the mini-nuke. Mera is completely in the right on this one.
  • Justice League #20 - Groundhog Day with the Flash in the lead role. For a guy who moves as quick as he does, it sure seems like he's figuring this one out really slowly. And having the league barge in like they did really doesn't reflect well on them - especially since it appears they are at fault. Not horrible, but not very good, either.
  • Green Lanterns #22 - And we get into the space stuff. I'm just not a big fan of the space stuff. Somehow the GL Corps just takes all the sensawonda out of it. This book is no exception - with the earthbound pair getting introduced properly to the corps while their pet not-a-guardian becomes a real threat. Are we going to get the inevitably boring training montage next?
  • DC Comics Bombshells #26 - The first half of the book is a song of endings, then we get right back into the action with a tale of Kara's attempts to return home. I've never been a big fan of songs in comic books because there is no way to hear the melody. This issue hits my annoyance right in the kisser - I don't mind that there is music but I'm terribly upset that I cannot hear it. Still, it is a nice way to wrap up the main storyline, and if it were an animated series it would no doubt be perfect.
  • Spider-Man 2099 #23 - I'm not really sure what was happening right at the end there, but it sure seems bad enough. Nasty toxin, multiple spideys *and* people from the future. I'm just wondering exactly what happened to Tempest.
  • Back To The Future: Biff to the Future #4 - I know this is an alternate timeline, but wow it's depressing. And since I already know the outcome of some of these plotlines, it's even more depressing. Still, interesting to see how it all happened. Or didn't, as the case may be.
  • Doctor Who Ghost Stories #2 - Back on familiar ground, sort of. I wasn't expecting that cliffhanger, but then, apparently the Doctor wasn't either. An ok issue with a big ol' infodump in the middle - nothing special but not bad.
  • May 10th
  • Titans #11 - Enter Deathstroke. I don't have a good grip on this part of the Titans' storyline, but I'll follow along as best I can. Garth gets to look silly in this one, which isn't my favorite moment. The fact that the universe has been altered is once again driven home in this issue, and I know we're going to see who and perhaps even why soon enough - which just makes me want to catch up to the current books faster. There's a lot in this issue to unpack, and I'm going to have to read it again.
  • Star Trek/Green Lantern V2 #6 - A decent end to this series, which is itself the second series set in this particular universe. One nice touch - Kirk is a little disturbed by Hal's casual altering of the course of events on an alien planet. I guess this Kirk cares a little more about the Prime Directive than the original.
  • Scooby Apocalypse #13 - I read this during a particularly bad insomnia bout, and was comforted immensely by what happens to Rufus. It's pretty clear to me who the real-life Rufus would be, and it's just as clear that both of them deserve that fate. I wonder how the team dynamic will change with a new person, or if she's doomed to die quickly? I'm really loving this book, despite it NOT being Scooby-Doo as I remember and love it. Ok, the back-up story wasn't to my liking, but Scrappy should just be scrapped.
  • Future Quest #12 - And they all lived happily ever after! I didn't realize this was the final issue until I was pretty much at the end, then I realized I was a little sad it was ending. I've really enjoyed the massive crossover with some familiar and many new-to-me characters. Overall, a fun series and I liked how the problems were solved in the final issue. Great job on everybody's part with this series.
  • Back To The Future #19 - So, we finally get to learn a little more about Marty's uncle. As I recall, he met him as a child in the first movie and referenced the fact he was in jail. This seems like a pretty good storyline to explore. I really wouldn't have thought this movie trilogy could spawn so many great stories - I just wasn't thinking widely enough.
  • Planet of the Apes/Green Lanterns #4 - Wow, by the time I got to this book, I was about Green Lanterned out. Good thing there was plenty of ape action to pull me back into the story. Still a long way to go in this series, but it's shaped up to be a bit of a crazy battle of the rings.
  • Doctor Who 11th #3.5 - A done-in-one that's Oodles of fun. Except for the fact that it appears to be a symptom of a greater problem - one caused by The Doctor himself. I would say the full understanding of this story requires lots of knowledge of past stories, particularly all the television stories involving the Ood.
  • Rough Riders: On The Storm #3 - One thing I love about historical fiction is looking to see how and where it departs from the history we know. So I had to go look up McKinley's assassination, of course. Fascinating stuff, which led me down another rabbit hole of knowledge. The comic itself is pretty darn good, setting up some nicely terrifying bad guys and a multiple cliffhanger. Lovely.
  • Spongebob Comics #68 - For one shining moment, SpongeBob took the wheel and got them safely there. I was surprised how funny I found this one. I usually just laugh a little and enjoy this book, looking for Mermaid Man references, but this one I laughed pretty hard at. Of course, there was also a serious side to it, because as happens all too often, the food service worker ignored a warning by a customer which had serious repercussions for everyone. So, funny but also push-button-y!

0 comments: