Sunday, March 04, 2018

A Sunday Comic Books Review

DCBS
Here are reviews of the DCBS comic books that I've gotten around to reading and reviewing, sorted by the original shipping date:
  • Jan 3rd
  • Justice League #36 - This is confusing. First off, I can't figure out where in Aquaman's timeline this is supposed to have taken place. Second off, Batman killing someone wouldn't just be front page news - everyone who knows any superhero would be asking about it. This seems like we're getting an extremely limited view of what's going on. As a result, it feels like the story is leaving too much out. I guess I'm used to decompressed stories after all, because this one is moving too quickly but in all the wrong ways.
  • Green Lanterns #38 - Well, that's not good. So she admitted her crime and Simon immediately told on her. That's good. Then she's allowed along on the fight against the stronghold of the people she claims she was led astray by. Fine. But then the standard twist happens and we get a somewhat disturbing cliffhanger. Yikes. Not a perfect story, but still engaging.
  • Black Lightning: Cold Dead Hands #3 - So the cliffhanger from last week, when two boys used one of the new street weaons accidentally to blow out a wall of their home, is resolved painfully and sadly in this issue. If nothing else, this comic is delivering the feeling of hopelessness and rage that people who are being unfairly picked on by police feel. It can be difficult to read. That's probably a good thing.
  • Bombshells United #9 - Ah, so that's what Cheetah was up to. And just for kicks, we also get the origin of Bombshell's Black Adam, who became so nasty his girl killed herself. Lovely. As always, interesting stuff, but I can only wonder where it's leading. One strange bit, the rules of this Lazarus Pit seem a bit different than the rules of such things in the regular DCU.
  • Jan 10th
  • Titans #19 - How can this story possibly be a thing with the current storyline in the Justice League? I mean, seriously. The Justice League, particularly Batman, are under investigation and in this book they are putting the Titans under the microscope? No, this doesn't fit. The two storylines clash badly. That said, Garth is living up to his old tradition of being a bit of a hothead, and I like it.
  • Scooby Apocalypse #21 - Well, it seems the answer to my question after what we learned last time (there's no cure) is that they'll wander around for a couple of months then get a bright idea to settle down and create a base in a mall. I personally would pick a building that has fewer access points, but whatever. I guess Velma is intent on the potential supplies in such a place, but that's not going to help much if the place is overrun by monsters. We'll just have to see in the next issue.
  • Spongebob Comics #76 - Only a small Mermaid Man reference while SpongeBob is procrastinating. The main story is part one of a longer story - all the water is gone from Bikini Bottom and Pearl is missing. Who will save the day? And who screwed up the day in the first place?
  • Saucer State #6 - Ok, I really liked that character and I'm not happy with this issue. That said, I was clearly pulled deeply into the issue since I had such an extreme reaction to it. I find it very interesting how the relationship with the Russians is going, as well. This is mind-bending stuff.
I've finally mostly caught up. Yes, there's a small stack of comics still to be reviewed next to my desk, but it's small, and only covers a few weeks, instead of knee-high and covering nearly a year. I'll continue to do multiple weeks until I'm actually caught up, then I'll just focus on the previous month, since we get our books shipped to us monthly. Unless we move back to civilization or suddenly get rich enough to pay for weekly shipping, I'll never be posting as the books arrive in stores each week. I suppose I could go all digital, but I really don't like reading comics on my computer or tablet, I guess I'm old-school...

0 comments: