Friday, November 12, 2021

Song of the Month - February 2021 - Somebody That I Used To Know

I'm going to work my way backwards through Facebook's confusing system and try to get all the videos Eric has posted for his Song of the Month series. Today's month is February 2021, and the song is Somebody That I Used to Know.

Feb 1st - Song of the Month, Day 1: Here's one that I know has at least a few interesting covers out there, and is an intriguing song in its own right. But it's also kind of a dark and bleak song, so I thought it would be a good one for a short month like February. Without further ado, the Song of the Month is "Somebody That I Used to Know" by Gotye, featuring Kimbra.



Feb 2nd - Song of the Month, Day 2: If I'm being completely honest, this video is the reason "Somebody That I Used to Know" is a Song of the Month at all. This was my first exposure to the song, when it went viral back in 2012. So when I finally heard Gotye's original version on the radio (I usually only listen to the radio on long drives), I thought it was a takeoff on this version, not the other way around! And if I'm honest, aside from the clever staging of the performance, I think I just prefer Walk Off the Earth's version more anyway.



Feb 3rd - Song of the Month, Day 3: Pentatonix does an acapella cover.



Feb 4th - Song of the Month, Day 4: An ASL interpretation of the song. I like that this one isn't just a straightforward signing, but an actual interpretation and performance.



Feb 5th - Song of the Month, Day 5: Who knew you could rock out to "Somebody That I Used to Know"?



Feb 6th - Song of the Month, Day 6: It's Satire Saturday, so here's "The Star Wars That I Used to Know"!



Feb 7th - Song of the Month, Day 7: Remember the Walk Off the Earth version of this month's song? And I said they might turn up again? Well, today seems an appropriate day to show them at the halftime show of a Minnesota Vikings playoff game a few years ago. Bonus: You also get to see bits of their versions of "The Shape of You" and "No Diggety", too.



Feb 8th - Song of the Month, Day 8: Okay, if I'd known about this one the other day, I would have featured them on Day 3. (Trust me, you'll get it when they introduce themselves.)



Feb 9th - Song of the Month, Day 9: The return of Postmodern Jukebox!



Feb 10th - Song of the Month, Day 10: This was the second time Postmodern Jukebox did "Somebody That I Used to Know", this time in a kitchen. (Hey, it's the Internet, I don't judge…)



Feb 11th - Song of the Month, Day 11: A nice little unplugged cover.



Feb 12th - Song of the Month, Day 12:



Feb 13th - Song of the Month, Day 13: It's Satire Saturday, a perfect time to pull out this one that is weird and disturbing on so many levels…



Feb 14th - Song of the Month, Day 14: So, who haven't we heard from since this started? Why, Gotye himself! Here's a live radio performance.



Feb 15th - Song of the Month, Day 15: The cast of "Ghost: The Musical" cover our song.



Feb 16th - Song of the Month, Day 16: A mellow acoustic version.



Feb 17th - Song of the Month, Day 17:



Feb 18th - Song of the Month, Day 18:



Feb 19th - Song of the Month, Day 19: With a two-year-old!



Feb 20th - Song of the Month, Day 20: It's Satire Saturday! This may stir some emotions, as it's a condemnation of Barack Obama during the 2012 campaign. Knowing who was to become President four years later, I suspect the critiques may not have been quite as harsh, but at the same time there are some legitimate gripes here. And the make-up and design in this version are terrific.



Feb 21st - Song of the Month, Day 21: Another live version by Walk Off the Earth, this time in a little more intimate setting than a football stadium:



BONUS: Gotye's version of the song is not the only one to have been parodied.



Feb 22nd - Song of the Month, Day 22: I've been neglecting the classical side of things! Well let's take care of that right now!



Feb 23rd - Song of the Month, Day 23:



Feb 24th - Song of the Month, Day 24:



Feb 25th - Song of the Month, Day 25:



Feb 26th - Song of the Month, Day 26:



Feb 27th - Song of the Month, Day 27: It's Satire Saturday, and this seemed like a silly enough version to celebrate the final one:



Bonus video: Dogs and cats!





Feb 28th - Song of the Month, Day 28: Well, we've reached the end of another month, so per tradition, I'll wrap up with a couple of live performances by the original artist:



And one with him singing with someone other than Kimbra:

0 comments: