Wednesday, May 07, 2003

Rapid Reviews - Free Comic Book Day 2003 - Part VI


Metallix #1: Good art, standard story. Kind of super-hero-ey, but solid. The main story gives off a good odor. The back-ups are ok, too. Overall, not bad. I would definitely consider getting Metallix: the only problem with it is that it seems so generic. Ah well, the book is a neat package. 3 1/2 starfish This book is for Older Readers (13+).

Walt Disney's Donald Duck Adventures: A classic Carl Barks tale with a classic Carl Barks back-up story... this is wonderful. I started reading comics with Carl Barks Donald Duck stories, so this just takes me back. Now I wish I could afford to get the new books. Heck, and all the reprints of all the Carl Barks. That would be a collection worth collecting. 4 starfish This book is for All-Ages.

Best of Dork Storm #1: I saved this book for last because I knew for a fact that I would like the PS238 story. And, while the others were good also, I was definitely right about the PS238 story. I don't read Nodwick or Dork Towers, so I don't know if they were re-runs, but the Snapdragons story I had seen before. Overall, pretty good. 4 starfish This book is for Older Readers (13+).

Whew! Done!!! All nineteen free comics that I got!

I got these free comic books on Free Comic Book Day 2003 from my local retailer Corner Comics.

Ok, now some late thoughts on the whole Free Comic Book Day concept. First off, the books are technically for people new to comics, not for people like me who get comic books anyway. But they can certainly be used by retailers to bring in the fans. Some of the best reactions about FCBD on various message boards was from people whose retailers held a sale on FCBD. So people came in to get free comics, and ended up buying tons of other stuff on sale too. Most stores didn't allow fans to get every 'free' comic (which is why I must thank Paige yet again for letting me have one of each). Overall, the stores that worked to make it something got the most return from it.

Ah well. Maybe we can make even more of it next year, if they decide to hold it again.

0 comments: