Saturday, May 03, 2003

Rapid Reviews - Free Comic Book Day 2003 - Part I


We got nineteen (19!) comics for Free Comics Book Day, as did customers who went to our wonderful, amazing, fantastic, awe-inspiring, shop: Corner Comics. All books are Free Comic Book Day editions, with the Free Comic Book Day logo on the cover and a spot for the store to stamp their logo.

I just want to point out that "free comics" aren't free for the retailer. Yeah, they are at a mightily reduced price, but at least one of the books was 75 cents an issue, which is a lot for a retailer to swallow (especially in this economy). If you didn't get as many free books, it's because your retailer could not justify the cost.

Way of the Rat: I'd already read this, since it's the first issue of the series. But there's a bunch of neat stuff in the back related to the movie and such. And Popo's horoscope is a hoot (and one more reason not to trust the things). Overall, the added stuff makes this already neat book a lot neater. 4 starfish This book is All-Ages.

Courtney Crumrin & the Night Things: Ok, this is a very odd book. Fun, but very odd. I think I like it. 3 1/2 starfish This book is All-Ages, but may be scary for younger readers.

Frank Miller's Robocop / Stargate SG1: The essays at the beginning of each... preview... were mildly interesting. Otherwise, this book sucked. Barely enough art to make a judgement on the style, and nothing at all besides the essays to give a feel for the stories themselves. 1 1/2 starfish This book is for Adults (18+).

Skinwalker #1: Considering the subject matter and the tendency towards gore in modern comics, I was expecting something a lot different. I was pleasantly surprised, to the point that I wouldn't mind picking up the trade of this story. This was, indeed, pretty darn good. 4 starfish This book is for Older Readers (13+).

Ok, more later. This is enough of a taste for now. I'd rather not list the remaining books (it's laziness, not secrecy), but 19 minus 4 means that I've still got 15 books to review. !!!

By the way: I'm putting what "age" the books are appropriate for at the end of each capsule. This is my opinion only. Parents should check the reading material of their children whenever possible for unsuitable items.

0 comments: