Thursday, July 31, 2003

Rapid Reviews - 30 July 2003 - Part II

Usagi Yojimbo #68: Ah, the most consistent book on the pull list. This issue doesn't quite live up to last issue's perfect middle story, but it's darn close. If nothing else, Usagi's artwork and the reference to his past adventures was great. And this tale really emphasizes that the pen (er, paintbrush) is mightier than the sword. 4 starfish

Empire #1: eeeeeeeuuuuw. Gore. Somehow, I never really thought this series would show the progression it is already showing. I guess that's an artifact of my first reading of the first two issues so long ago. For a series to be really good, you need to feel sympathy for at least one of the characters, and preferably identify with that character. I haven't found any character I like in this series yet. 3 1/2 starfish

Leave It To Chance: Shaman's Rain: Way back when on Free Comic Book Day, I read the free Leave It To Chance and was completely and utterly hooked. Hubby-Eric wasn't inclined to spend money we didn't have buying new comic books, so I desisted and waited. When Eric got his new contract for next year, though, one of the first things I did was ask Paige to order the first two volumes of Leave It To Chance for me. They arrived yesterday. I couldn't wait, and read the first one very quickly. I meant to save the second for later, but this is SO GOOD, I couldn't wait. This is all-ages fun, good for the guys or the girls. The art is wonderful. The story movement is strong. I strongly recommend this book to anyone. At $15 for an oversized hardcover reprinting the first four issues, this is a bargain worth checking out. Go on, what are you waiting for? 4 1/2 starfish

Leave It To Chance: Trick or Threat & Other Stories: The first collection was a single story, showing how Chance got into her father's business. This second collection has three stories, including the story that was in the Free Comic Book Day Leave It To Chance. It also introduces some new characters who work well with Chance and Georgie. This book is a winner. Go get it. 4 1/2 starfish

The next collection, Leave It To Chance: Monster Madness, is in the current Previews magazine (AUG03 1219) or can be ordered through any good bookstore (my link here is to Amazon.com). Again, I highly recommend this book to any readers, especially to younger readers.

Already done with this week's books. It was a small week, even with the extras. Next week's list is bigger: Detective Comics, Batman: Nevermore, Superman: Birthright, Formerly Known As The Justice League, JSA: All-Stars, Justice League Adventures, Faction Paradox, and Supreme Power. That's only eight books, but their titles are long.

0 comments: