Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Rapid Reviews - Library Books

Invincible: Perfect Strangers: Well... after the last, somewhat disjointed, volume, I wasn't sure what I was expecting in this one. I can tell you that it wasn't what happened, though. Wow. This volume just threw all the previous ones out the door, and went in a completely different direction. Very cool. And it makes me wonder when the next volume will be out. I want to read more. 3 1/2 starfish

The Originals: Wow. If you take out the swearing, this book would be 60 pages thinner. But then, what do you expect from a book about retro-futuristic motorcycle gangs? The artwork is very stylish and evokes the period, or periods, very nicely. It's both 1960s mod and whatever not-so-distant future this claims to be. The story is very basic. The old gang revenge tale in which people die and nobody learns anything. I would not recommend this to most folks, but those who like Gibbons work should be impressed with it. I'm glad I got it from the library and didn't buy it. 2 1/2 starfish

Fables: Legends in Exile: I'd been meaning to read this book for some time, but it took me forever to finally put it on hold at the library. Then it was another forever before I sat down to read it... inspired in part by hubby-Eric accidently spoiling part of the story for me because he thought I'd already read it. I didn't think I'd like it much. I was wrong. This is a strangely fun book. Certainly worth a peek. The first volume is all about the mystery of Rose Red's murder. Go check it out. 3 starfish

0 comments: