Monday, November 06, 2006

Flipping Through Previews...

AAAAAUUUGGGGGHHHHH!!!!Yes, it's that time again... time for "Things in Previews That Look Interesting But I Can't Afford To Get (with a list of things I am getting just for contrast)". I'm going to start with the bulk of the book, and then come back and cover the "big four" at the end. Please remember, I'm listing what looks interesting. My actual purchase list is going to be much smaller. The numbers after each title are usually the page number in Previews Magazine, so you can follow along at home.

Let's start with the covers. Detective Chimp holding the Helmet of Fate is just a striking cover no matter how you think of the story idea. Monkeys always sell. And the Usagi Yojimbo cover is gorgeous. A double triumph of covers this month.

Moving on, let's hit the Splash Page (8-9). I'm vaguely interested in the Star Trek book, but we'll probably wait for reviews and/or a collection before checking it out. I'm very interested in the new DC Heroclix... I hope there's an Aquaman, but I'm not hoping too much. And Usagi hitting issue 100 is great. I'm looking forward to the issue.

Skipping over the first four companies... nothing in the Featured Items attracts my attention except the already mentioned Star Trek. Well, that and the color Bone book, but since I haven't got any of the color Bone I'm not going to get this one.

AiT/Planet Lar (213) has some reissues. Couscous Express and the three volume Couriers, which weren't really my style, are mayhem books with lots of action. More to my liking is Demo, which is a well-priced collection of the entire series. Worth checking out if you missed it originally.

Antarctic Press (217-220) does the most natural team-up in the world: Pirates vs Ninjas. That's really all there is to say.

Blue Dream Studios (235-236) has a collection of Dreamland Chronicles, which you can also read on-line. Not only is it a good read for adults, it's a great idea for a comic to give to kids.

Boom! Studios (236-240) fell off my list awhile ago, but I see the Hero Squared: Ongoing is up to issue five. I may have to hunt down back issues and check it out.

Flipping... flipping... AH! Graphitti designs is finally doing an Aquaman T-Shirt (382), and this is based on Aquaman in Justice. Yes, I'll be getting it. Definitely.

Back to the front of the book...

Dark Horse is celebrating Usagi Yojimbo's 100th issue, and I'm looking forward to seeing it.

DC Comics has resolicited Aquaman #48, which is a bummer, but makes up for it with the Aquaman Showcase volume. I just wish DC would reprint Golden Age Aquaman stories, too.

The Helmet of Fate mini looks slightly interesting, but I think I'll pass. JLA Classified has gone nuts with three issues out this month. If DC keeps pulling this multiple issues trick, we may have to drop the book. Same deal with JSA Classified. I'm satisfied with a monthly, can we stop with the bi-weeklies?

Image Comics has Noble Causes and True Story, Swear to God. So I'll be getting those.

Nothing to say about Marvel. Don't know if we're getting anything from them, and I don't much care.

And there it is... all of Previews. I'm finally all the way through. Huzzah. So that's it for this month's "Things in Previews That Look Interesting But I Can't Afford To Get (with a list of things I am getting just for contrast)". Comments? Questions? Did I miss any really cool books that you know about and would like to point out? Do you disagree with something I wrote, and want to correct me? There's the comments, right below. Post something. And, yes, I accept review copies. I'm willing to give almost anything a try.

0 comments: