Sunday, August 02, 2015

A Sunday Review

DCBS
Here are reviews of the DCBS comic books that I've gotten around to reading and reviewing, sorted by the original shipping date:
  • Jun 24th
  • Aquaman #41 - Is it bad that I like the flashback sequences far more than the current stuff? As for the storyline, I guess the entire thing is based on n oebxra cebzvfr bs trabpvqr? Seriously? There's got to be a bit more to it than that.
  • Green Lantern: The Lost Army #1 - Most of the new post-Convergence books don't require reading the Sneak Peek to understand, but this one... This book really needed the free preview to make heads or tails of what was going on in the book. That said, it's a promising enough start. Throw a bunch of folks into a strange universe, let them explore and figure out how to get home. I suppose it'll work.
  • Batman '66 #24 - I love this book. The style is absolutely perfect. I love the insane moral comment at the end of this one, in particular (Jvryqvat gur bayl guvat uneqre guna qvnzbaq... ...gur rira-unaqrq erfbyir bs qrprag pvgvmraf!). This is a fun book, every issue.
  • Empire Uprising #3 - This is an impressive dystopia. And it readily describes the biggest problem with the villain winning. What then?
  • Doctor Who 10th #12 - I'm not sure what's worse, being turned into a baby, or being able to remember everything that happened when you were turned into a baby. I'm very curious to see how this one eventually turns out. There's some fascinating plotlines there.
  • UFOlogy #3 - Ok, that mouth-to-mouth scene was pretty gross. All told, I'm not sure what's happening in this book, but I'm hoping it will all come together in the end.
  • Hoax Hunters 2015 #4 - Three storylines. But the dark an muddy art is so distracting I can barely read the book. I am interested in the story. I want to see if Jack makes it home. I want to know what will happen to Regan. But I also want to be able to see what I'm reading.
  • Jul 1st
  • Green Lantern #42 - Another book that really needs the Sneak Peek to understand what's going on. It's not terribly bad, but it's not really thrill-a-minute, either. The final splash was interesting and ties it together.
  • Batman Beyond #2 - Inque was one of the better Batman Beyond foes, and it's no surprise that she's around even in this twisted version of unreality. I still haven't decided if I actually like this series or not. Some moments I'm annoyed, but mostly I'm curious to see what happens next. That's good, right?
  • Flash: Season Zero #10 - Two stories in this one, starting with a touching one that reveals some of Caitlin's past. Very interesting... The second story is a bit on how much work The Flash does and how it cramps his style as a person. Again, a bit touching. There's been some good stuff coming out of this digital first series.
  • Doctor Who 12th #9 - Quite a spectacular start to the issue, with Rassilon of all people showing up! Then we get to a thinly disguised Rat Pack in Las Vegas... wow. Talk about guest appearances. This one is a lot of fun, right down to the cliffhanger ending.
  • Scooby-Doo Team-Up #11 - I confess, I never really watched Secret Squirrel, so I'm not particularly familiar with his style. That said, this was pretty funny. In particular, the bit about blowing up the bad guy's evil lairs every time they meet was a nice jab at formulaic writing. I do like that this series refuses to take itself seriously.



0 comments: