Saturday, January 25, 2003

More Thoughts on the Aquaman Archive


I'll try to get my brain back to normal after yesterday's surprise events. I can't think of anything better suited to grounding my mind than some thoughts on Aquaman...

I was both horrified and amused to see a posting on usenet that complained about the coloring in the Aquaman Archive. Specifically, this person seriously believed that Aquaman's gloves had always been green and thought that the yellow gloves were a production mistake. Now, I can understand that particular lack of knowledge in general, but this person had the Archive in hand, which includes an introduction by Roy Thomas. And the introduction mentions the whole gloves thing. On the first page, even. I just find it horrifying that someone with the book in hand could be so lazy as to not even read the introduction when they notice something is different than they expected.



And I'm just going to take this opportunity to commend, yet again, the team that made the Archive so good. In particular, Lee Loughridge did the color reconstructions and did them PERFECT. I literally sat down with the originals in one hand and the archive in the other and compared the colors on each page and panel. I haven't completely finished the entire book yet, but I have yet to find a mistake! My greatest fear when the Archive was announced was that DC would continue its reprint tradition of changing Aquaman's gloves to green from the original yellow. I wanted to see the stories the way they were meant to look when originally printed. My fears were unfounded. DC did this one perfectly.

0 comments: