Monday, June 02, 2003

Some Rapid Reviews


In anticipation of pug provided boredom with my blog, I'm going to put up a couple of rapid reviews in the hopes of staving off mass defections to less focused bloggers. Not that I have a mass of readers to begin with, but I'd rather not complain constantly about the pugs. Just almost constantly.

Here's a couple of books I just read:

A Gift of Dragons by Anne McCaffrey: Hubby-Eric got this for me with the Amazon.com credit from his bookshop. It's basically a gift book. Although it has one new story, the appeal is in the packaging, which includes illustrations. Since I seem to have misplaced my copies of two of the stories reprinted in this book, it was also a nice present to fill in the holes of my collection of The Dragonriders of Pern books. "The Smallest Dragonboy" is a standard Pern tale from the early days of Pern fiction. "The Girl Who Heard Dragons" was one of the first stories to explore the lives of the not-so-lucky people on Pern, and is a strong story. "The Runner of Pern" is fun. The new tale, "Ever the Twain" is a bit on the weak side, but I'm still glad to have read it. All-in-all, a neat little package. 3 1/2 starfish

Holes by Louis Sachar: This may well be the first ever case I've found of a movie being better than the book it was based on. The clues and hints in the movie were better placed than in the book. The movie fleshed out the supporting characters better. While both the movie and the book were aimed at a young audience, the movie did a slightly better job of entertaining. Not to say that the book is bad... it's very, very good. But the movie is even better. 4 starfish

And a movie:

My Big Fat Greek Wedding: Little sister loaned hubby-Eric and I the DVD of this movie and we curled up together to watch it with the warning that the story might be familiar to us... from our own wedding. While Eric's family doesn't resemble Ian's in the slightest, Toula's family is even more overwhelming than my own. I laughed throughout this movie, and enjoyed just about all of it, even the bits I cringed during. 4 starfish

0 comments: