Monday, June 02, 2003

Final Thoughts for the Night


Anyone who has been following the saga of Salam Pax needs to check out Peter Maass' Story about the now famous Baghdad Blogger. See, Salam was Peter's interpreter, and Peter didn't know it until he got home.

Pugs are being good. It helps that hubby-Eric came out and gave them a long walk this afternoon to wear them out. "Little Snuffley", aka Buster, has been wandering around the house licking his nose and making snorting noises, while the more practical Buddy is sleeping happily. Well, he's happy unless grandma comes upstairs to visit, at which point he goes into his "poor little abused dog" routine.

I said I'd mention baseball. The Mariners went 6-0 on the beginning of their road trip, sweeping Kansas City and Minnesota, both really good teams this year. Next up on the M's road trip is Philadelphia, then they face the Mets in New York. While I'm a Mets fan most of the time, while interleague play puts the M's up against the Mets, I have to root for my home team. Go Mariners!

I'm not sure, but I think as of this morning the Mariners had the best record in baseball, just passing Atlanta by half a game. For non baseball fans, that just means that Atlanta has lost one more game than Seattle. They've both won 37 games. While having the Mariners at the top of baseball is no longer as novel as it was pre-2001, it still seems more than a little surreal.

Oh yeah, one more thing. After the Fanfest in 2001, which I volunteered at, I want the Mariners to cream Philadelphia. I was accosted by the Philly Phanatic while walking with other volunteers down to the fanfest floor. I don't generally mind being hugged, but being hugged by scary-looking mascots when I least expect it ... well, Go Mariners!

Because I'm slightly obsessive... Stop laughing, Eric. *ahem* Because of my obsessive behavior, I set up my own page to follow the Mariners schedule. It won't get updated this week, probably, but it's fun. Ok, fun for me. One great thing about baseball is that it allows me to indulge some of my need for obsession without being seen as too odd. After all, baseball seems to be at least mostly acceptable. Unlike, say, Aquaman.

0 comments: