Wednesday, May 19, 2004

Random Thoughts

The weather today has got my head spinning. I woke up and looked outside... it was bright, sunny, and I couldn't see a cloud in the sky. I grabbed the newspaper, sat down and ate breakfast, then looked out again. The sky was filled with murderous-looking thunderclouds lowering at me. Forty-five minutes later, the sun was out again, and half the sky was clear.

Lots of controversy, and even a possible murder mystery, in the upcoming sale of Arthur Conan Doyle's Papers (NYT, registration required).

The complete soundtracks to Harry Potter 3 and Shrek 2 are legally available on-line. Streaming, of course (and it doesn't like Mozilla). I find the Shrek soundtrack more interesting because it seems to be updates of old songs, and I'm making a game out of figuring out the song. Some are easy. Some, not so much so.

Margaret Cho wants people to understand that she's not nice (adult language warning for the sensitive). Why link to this? Perhaps I identify.

Here's BBC news' take on the finalist cities for the 2012 Olympics.

Via Metafilter (again, always), it's Choose Your Own NY. A rather updated version of the old Choose Your Own Adventure books... and not recommended for children.

Ex-Mariner Randy Johnson pitches a perfect game, only the 17th in Major League history. It was also Arizona's first no-hitter... Randy Johnson threw Seattle's first no-hitter back in 1990.

A purple powder was thrown at Tony Blair during his weekly half-hour question and answer session. It was a protest staged by Fathers 4 Justice. These are the same guys who keep dressing up as superheroes. The purple powder was colored flour thrown in a condom.

The government of Texas has decided that they are allowed to declare what constitutes a religion... they've denied Unitarianism tax-exempt religious status because the church doesn't fit the government's definition of a religion. Which is, in my opinion, a violation of the first amendment. Of course, Presidents John Adams and John Quincy Adams were both Unitarians, so they apparently thought it was a religion.

If you haven't seen it yet, the full trailer for The Incredibles is up now. Look like fun.

Great story about how a guy helps fill up an apartment complex by offering tenants free wireless internet connections. via Boing Boing.

Last time I filled my tank, gas was at $2.25 a gallon here. What's it at where you are?

Update: when I went out to get comics today, I checked the prices between here and Bothell. Cheapest gas I saw was $2.25 a gallon. Most expensive (of the cheapest gas) was $2.34. The place I bought my gas at the last time I filled the tank was at $2.29. That's all for Unleaded, none of the fancy stuff.