Tuesday, May 18, 2004

Yeah, I'm An Aquaman Fangirl. Hadn't You Noticed?

Comic Book Resources has posted the top 300 comic books for books shipping in April. As usual, Aquaman's not high up on the list. Until I get some other data, like ICv2 usually provides, the stats are mostly meaningless.

Quantity Rank: 88
Retail Rank: 104
Index: 32.72
Code: FEB040251
Title: AQUAMAN #17
Price: $2.50
Publisher: DC

I have the whole set of retail information sitting on my Aquaman site in a very simple text file. It tells a very sad tale, indeed. Follow the historical fall-off of Aquaman sales. The only time his sales ever climb is during an event or when a new creative team takes on the series (and there's a boost in publicity). What I find most telling is the circulation statement from 1970, with the yearly average: 141,332. ANY comic book that got that in average sales nowadays would be the top seller. In 1970, it was poor enough to get Aquaman cancelled.

Comic Book Resources has also posted the DC Books for August. Yes, I know they were posted at Comics Continuum yesterday. I guess it's worth noting that Toon Zone and DC themselves have also posted solicits. I guess it's a case of "pick your poison".



Aquaman #21 will be starting a new storyarc, so we'll have to wait and see if DC decides to grace the first Pfeifer arc with a collection or if Aquaman will go collectionless yet again. I sort of expected a second Veitch trade, to finish the storyline, but I guess the sales on the first trade weren't impressive.

Regarding the cover, I didn't really like it much at first. Gleason's art takes some getting used to, and I've begun to really enjoy it inside the book. But I didn't think this cover is quite on par with Alan Freakin' Davis. I guess I still don't. But I'm beginning to appreciate it.

One of the things that started me down the road to appreciation is the details in the cover. Here's a sample of much of the upper right. First off is the diver's face. He looks rather... um... terrified. But then, I'd be scared too if Aquaman was grabbing my diving mask and pulling it off despite being injured (twice) and fighting off four of my fellow criminals.

Note also the way the money is floating. Gleason is showing the money as if it's in the current of the fight. The splay of blood from Aquaman's injuries also shows that the fighters aren't sitting still. There is movement in this image, both in human figures and in what's around them.

If I have a complaint, it's with the blowtorch. I would expect to see more bubbling around it as the water in contact with it boils. I haven't actually spent much time with fire underwater, though, so this could be an accurate depiction. Anyone know for sure? (I admit, it makes me want to experiment...)

Lastly, there's a diver to the left, not in this detail, sorry, who looks like he just realized what he's gotten into, and is doing a fine job keeping his wetsuit wet without the ocean.

If there's anything wrong with the cover, it's the depiction of Aquaman himself. The gritted-teeth, angular face look just doesn't work with for me. But that is how Gleason draws Aquaman, just normally not as blatantly. I'll have to get used to it.

My little sister came down with what appears to be an ear infection while up at school on Wednesday. I really hope she didn't somehow catch it from the comic books I loaned her. I didn't think you could catch swimmer's ear just from reading Aquaman. Get better soon Lisa. And let me know if there's anything I can do to help.