Sunday, May 30, 2004

Rapid Reviews - 26 May 2004 - Part II

Angel: The Hollower: Well, since I'm addicted to Angel, the TV show, and I'm watching it from the beginning on DVD, I figured that I ought to try the comic, too. After all, I'm a comic book fan, right? So sorting through the collections at the local shop, I figured out that the earliest one appeared to be this one. This story is set before Angel moves to LA, and it's got some of his personal history... well, maybe not wrong, but definitely odd. Except for that, it's a fun little romp. As often happens with TV tie-ins, the artwork doesn't bear much of a resemblance to the characters on the TV screen, and that detracts. But the story is ok, with a different sort of twist. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who isn't a fan of Buffy/Angel, but to those who are, this is mildly recommended. 3 1/2 starfish

Futurama #17: This claims to be the first part of a multi-part arc. It's actually a decent set-up, and readable even if you aren't very familiar with Futurama. Lots of silliness (I particularly like the aliens). This isn't bad. Mildly recommended. 3 1/2 starfish

Conan #4: Be careful what you wish for, eh? Conan has always wanted to visit Hyperborea, but now that he's there, it's not exactly as he envisioned it, is it? This is a strong series. The art certainly takes quite a bit of getting used to, but it really is quite beautiful, despite the ugly things it's portraying. This issue seems to pick up the action, or at least the interest level, for me. Recommended. 4 starfish

Still to review: Demo, New Frontier, Ant, Supreme Power, Common Grounds, Harley & Ivy, Way of the Rat, and Green Lantern/Green Arrow Vol 1.