Sunday, May 30, 2004

Rapid Reviews - Angel Season One DVDs - Part VII

Angel [1-13]: She: Fascinating. An episode that explores a current social issue in an almost too obvious way. Besides the reference to a barbaric practice, this was a decent little story. There was a nice bit of misdirection starting out, as the viewer was led to believe that the female demon was the bad guy, when... in fact, she was a bad guy. I think they mostly dealt ok with the whole "shades of grey" problem. It wasn't a great episode, but I find I enjoy even the mediocre episodes. Man, I really need to get my hands on Buffy DVDs so I can see this epic from the start. 3 1/2 starfish

Angel [1-14]: I've Got You Under My Skin: The title made lots of sense once it was revealed that Angel and crew were dealing with a demonic possession. But, once again, they twisted it. I find the twists in this show to be the best thing about it. First they keep you guessing about the person who is possessed, then they throw in another twist just to make it more interesting. I was a little surprised at the end. I would have expected the family to be a little more curious about why, and I would have expected them to ask Angel. Ah well, small problems. 3 1/2 starfish