Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Rapid Reviews - 26 May 2004 - Part IV

Batman: Harley & Ivy #2: ah, more super-villian fun. Harley & Ivy are fun to watch in action, and running around a rainforest making friends and influencing people is just the sort of thing they are great at. Lots of fun. Recommended. 4 starfish

DC: The New Frontier #4: I wonder where the Elseworlds logo is, because this is definitely not the regular DCU. This one is moving to the Silver Age, and the bit with Flash was probably the part that hit me hardest, although there were a number of really cool bits to this one. I'm looking forward to seeing this whole thing and reading it all in one sitting. There are still references I'm missing, but overall this one ties in very well. Recommended. 4 starfish

Green Lantern/Green Arrow Vol 1: I'd never read all these stories before. Bits and pieces, yes, but never the entire thing. I like it... good artwork, strongly constructed stories. I can't imagine the impact these stories had when they were first published. I do know that the depiction of Northwestern Native Americans is ... well, flat-out wrong. Because of the era in which it was done, I can almost forgive the mistakes. But for a book that was trying to expose racial inequalities, the research could have been a little better. There's also a tendency to shove the moral down the readers' throats, which is the point. But it gets old the third or fourth time Hal recites his oath with the narration that he's now questioning it because he doesn't see the world in black and white anymore. Yeah, we got it already (this is a case in which the collection doesn't improve the material). Mildly recommended. 3 1/2 starfish

Still to review: Ant and Common Grounds