Friday, June 04, 2004

Rapid Reviews - 3 June 2004 - Part I

Thor #80: Yes, the last issue just came out last week. This book has a different writer (Oeming) and might as well be a completely different series. I liked the prologue, though I kept saying to myself "that's wrong, that's not part of the Norse mythology, that's wrong" as if it actually matters! This is the Marvel U, after all... if it were striving for accuracy, Thor would be a redhead with a beard. Anyway, the rest of the issue did not read well on the first read, and until I get some time to sit and go through it again, I'm not terribly impressed. I'm neutral on this issue, which is about the only thing it has in common with the last. 3 starfish

Swamp Thing #4: So all the major parties are finally in the same place, but their knowledge isn't. In fact, Tefe has no idea what she's up against, while Abby doesn't realize what's about to happen. And then there's Constantine, who's role is still not clear, but probably has the best idea what's actually going on. We've got two more issues to go, but I can't see how this thing is going to be resolved. Mildly recommended. 3 1/2 starfish

Justice League Adventures #32: A fun little tale with The Flash and Martian Manhunter. Giffen does a decent job playing to both characters' strengths (and weaknesses). I like the reference to Chocos, too. Heh. A nice little one-off. Recommended. 4 starfish

Still to review: Superman: Birthright, Ant, and Girl Genius.