Monday, August 16, 2004

DC Solicits and Random Thoughts

Huh, no reviews from me today, you'll have to settle for Carlos' Scurvy Dogs review. I've got other things to blog about.

First up is the new DC solicits. They are up at Toon Zone among other places. And there's a lot of news there for the DC fan.

You know what I checked first, and here it is:

This one fails my general "simplicity is better" test, but otherwise looks pretty good. It's obvious with a closer look what the subject is, and you even get a sense of what the story might be. You would be right, too, according to the solicit, which refers to "the sunken naval bases at San Diego". That's an angle I hadn't much thought of... military installations would have gone down in the disaster. It's clear to me that Pfeifer thought through the implications of the disaster pretty well, and knew there would be plenty of plotlines to investigate. However, Pfeifer isn't writing the book any longer... this issue is by John Ostrander and the art by the fill-in team of Chris Batista & Dave Meikis.

Will Pfeifer has confirmed that he is off Aquaman, but I don't know who the new regular writer is, if there is a regular writer. Patrick Gleason will be staying on as the artist.

In other news...

  • The Batman crossover is apparently ended, and even though Birds of Prey wasn't involved their solicit talks about rising from the rubble of it. Whatever.
  • I'm not sure why, but I like the cover to Batman: Gotham Knights #59.
  • Superman: Secret Identity is getting a trade. Those of you who were waiting for it, go wild. As you know, it sold poorly, and didn't make back the advances. So, go buy it. I recommend it.
  • I don't know what I think about JLA: Classified. Ask me after I've done the number-crunching to figure out if we can afford to add it to our pull.
  • Annoying crossover between Firestorm and Bloodhound. I may have to drop Bloodhound after all. Haven't decided yet, but a crossover like this on a book that's not a sure thing on my pull is very likely to make me drop it, and not at all likely to make me pick up the other book. If anyone knows whether or not this is a true crossover, ie I must read Firestorm to understand/enjoy what happens in Bloodhound, let me know.
  • Final issue of H-E-R-O. Not entirely a surprise, but not good news at all. I was mostly enjoying the book.
  • With Pfeifer off Swamp Thing, so am I. Hey, one less book on the pull...
  • DC Direct has a new line of Green Lantern action figures, and while I suspect hubby-Eric would like all of them, I know the one he really wants is Kilowog.

Ok, more on DC and everyone else's solicits when Previews actually comes on. In the meantime, here's some nice Random Thoughts to get you through until I can get up the energy to finish my reviews.

Matt Peckham gives us a wonderful photo blog of the Shire.

Brian Wood reveals the author's intent in the recent issue Mixtape. Can't say I'm surprised, but I like that it could be read a number of different ways.

Mike Sterling finds a nice Dr Manhattan riff in Harvey Comics. I'm beginning to think Mike is reading too much Harvey, lately.

Be sure to check out Yet Another Comics Blog for some good reviews and another nice Eleven List. Speaking of Eleven Lists, I have been updating my version of the master list, but be sure to check out TangognaT's combined list.

Joey Manley's demonstrates a problem with current superhero artwork. I agree. That's just ridiculous.

And, to finish up, I recently answered a call for reviewers from Monitor Duty, and received Fanzing Presents: Job Wanted #1 in the mail. When I saw the cover, I recognized it as a book that I mentioned in my Oct 2003 Flipping Through Previews post as a book I wanted but couldn't afford to get. I haven't read it yet, but I will soon. I'm always happy to accept review copies.

That's it for blogging from me today. I'm going to go watch some more Olympics. I hope there's some more swimming on one of the channels. I really can't get enough of men's swimming.