Thursday, August 12, 2004

Random Thoughts and Eleven List Update

Ok, I'm going to try to compile a list of all the Eleven Lists again. Hang on...
(updated 7:10 pm Pacific - added DeCloah's Eleven) (updated Aug 13 8:50 am Pacific - added Hurting's List) (updated Aug 13 11:05 am Pacific - added Kris and Bill) (updated Aug 14 9:45 am Pacific - added Nicklas) (updated Aug 16 9:35 am Pacific - added three more)

Anyone know of any I missed? Please post a link in the comments.

I don't know if it's Comcast, something more widespread, or even something to do with my home network, but I'm getting a LOT more timeouts and "can't find ---.com" messages than usual. It seems like I have to try three or four times to get pages to load. But it's not consistently bad. It's like my service is cutting out every few minutes or something. Anyone have any ideas where I should check?

Shane is linkblogging again.

Old ads, new products. Via Boing Boing.

I watched the Portugal vs Iraq soccer match from the Olympics today. It was a great one to watch. The Iraq team surprised everyone by upsetting Portugal 4-2. Although the playing was excellent, the officiating wasn't. There were a number of dubious calls, particularly offsides calls, and one extremely dubious red card. Despite the problems (there was also some bad sportsmanship in the crowd) it was clear that Iraq was playing harder and smarter and deserved the win.

Speaking of the Olympics, big scandal is breaking even as I type. I'm sure by the time I post this, there will be much more on the news sites about it. And it gets stranger and yet even more strange.

Did Chinese circumnavigate the world in 1421? This site has the evidence. Via the Librarians' Index to the Internet.

More fun from the Librarians' Index to the Internet: Historical Maps On-line, Garlic Central, North American Mammals, and of course, Lots of Links for The Olympics.

A silly bit of political crap... the guy Bush wants to run the CIA? Michael Moore has Porter Goss on film saying he's not qualified for the CIA.

I didn't just take pictures of the boats while at the Ballard Locks. I also got a nice picture of some flowers. I liked the triple color contrast of these guys.