Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Rapid Reviews - 11 August 2004 - Part IV

Ok, time to get off my lazy Olympics kick and write some nice little reviews to finish out last week's books.

Bloodhound #2: A pretty good continuation of the story started in the last issue. It's a bit violent, but I would like to find out where this character is headed. I'm more than a little disappointed that this book will be involved in a crossover with a book I don't buy so soon into its run. Crossovers tend to make me drop books, and this one is just a little too good to drop. Well, until I make a decision on the crossover, this book is still recommended. 4 starfish

Green Arrow #41: Decompression blues again. The events in this book could've been told a whole lot quicker without losing any of the impact. I don't notice it all the time, but I'm sure noticing it here. Mildly recommended. 3 1/2 starfish

JSA #64: This isn't a bad book, it's just that after reading each issue I feel like I ought to know more about the characters than I do. It's like I have to be a hardcore JSA fan in order to simply understand the book at times. I suppose that's a sign that the book is being written for the fans, which isn't always a good thing. Mildly recommended. 3 1/2 starfish

JLA #103: Green Lantern's turn to fail. As with the other issues in this arc, it wouldn't have been too bad alone in his own book, but here it's out of place and counter to what the JLA, DC's flagship title, ought to be. I'm finding myself less and less impressed with these issues as the "arc" moves on. Neutral on this one. 3 starfish

Powers #3: Wow. Deena's still got it, too bad she hasn't got any back-up in the form of good powers. This book has a good balance of plotlines, and I'm enjoying the tale being woven. Not for everyone, but I like this book. Recommended. 4 starfish

Coming tomorrow: Supreme Power, Girl Genius, Batman Adventures, Birds of Prey, DC Presents Atom, Fallen Angel, H-E-R-O, JSA Strange Adventures, Plastic Man, Astro City Special, and Demo. A pretty good week!