Thursday, September 23, 2004

Random Thoughts

Via Thought Balloons: DC is suing Kryptonite Locks to keep them from expanding their brands, and they've gotten support from a Federal Judge.

Freakin' Shane Bailey continues to linkblog up a storm or two. I can't keep up with the guy.

Newsarama reports that CrossGen is going on the auction block on September 28th.

Is it illegal to grow poppies? A fascinating essay on one gardener's experiences in trying to learn the truth.

Ivan the Undead Hurricane. And Jeanne is next, then Karl, then Lisa... and there's a couple of storms behind Lisa bidding for their chance to attack Florida.

Boing Boing blogs about the possible demise of Twinkies. Makes me want to go out and snag some.

Don't have Windows XP? Then don't use Internet Explorer. Heck, don't use it anyway. Get Firefox.

Looking at the list of frequently challenged books, the top book on the list that I've read is The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier. I don't remember much about it beyond the fact that I didn't enjoy it. I read some other Cormier books around the same time, and I seem to recall that all of them were odd and disturbing. Particularly I Am The Cheese and The Bumblebee Flies Anyway. Cormier isn't on my list of favorite authors, but that doesn't mean he should be banned.

In honor of Banned Books Week, I put I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou on my library hold list. I should get to read it during the next week or so. I plan on reading some of the other books on the list over the next few months, as well.

And to finish off, here's a statue from the Winchester Mystery House:


0 comments: