Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Review Copy Reviews

Possibly following the lead of AiT/Planet Lar, Atomeka has sent out a few review copies of their comic books to bloggers. I was one of the lucky recipients, and I'm happy to give you my thoughts on these books.

The Dave Johnson Sketchbook: Do you like Johnson's artwork already? If so, you'll love this book. It's a lot of great sketches from the artist, without any pretense of a story or theme. Most of the characters are original, with a couple of familiar faces from elsewhere thrown in. There's a nice box at the front of the book for getting your own sketch, but I've already got my Dave Johnson one. I personally liked some of the uniform and mecha designs. If you already enjoy the art, get the book. If not... well, it's probably not for you. 3 1/2 starfish

A1: Big Issue 0: I'm not even going to pretend to understand the first story, "The Bojeffries Saga", but it was funny and goofy and bizarre. The second story, "Kathleen's House" was a painful little slice of life story that I enjoyed a lot. The "Shark-Man" story was great from a superhero fan point of view, especially an Aquaman fan. It's a nice mix of Batman and Aquaman, and was stylish to boot. The Flaming Carrot story was just odd. "Survivor" was a slightly different take on a common concept. Overall, an excellent little anthology. Recommended. 4 starfish

Note: That's not all. Two more from Atomeka coming soon, and more from AiT/Planet Lar as well.

0 comments: