Friday, January 07, 2005

Bloggity Contest #1 and Random Thoughts

Larry Young has just upped the stakes in my Bloggity Contest #1 by sending me a page of original artwork from Colonia. I'm a little unsure how to do this, but I think I will offer the artwork as another prize so that people who already have the book can try to get the art. I'll work out how to award the prizes as I go. I have, after all, two weeks to figure it out.

So, if you want a copy of Colonia: Islands and Anomolies by Jeff Nicholson, OR if you want a shot at the original artwork, please enter the contest! Deadline is 9 pm Pacific, January 20th. Remember, all you have to do is write a micro-essay on why/how comic books are good as educational materials. Send your entries to emeraldtegan@comcast.net with a subject line of Bloggity Contest #1. Include your name and your entry. And feel free to spread the news of this contest to anyone you think might be interested.

Jeff Parker reproduces. Congrats!

Near Mint Heroes is linkblogging again.

Preview images from Sea of Red, which I mentioned in my Flipping Through Previews post.

The Incredibles has been nominated for best film by the Producers Guild of America.

A user of iTunes has sued Apple because he can only play iTunes songs on his iPod. Hmmm.

Curious George escapes the Nazis, a true story. Via MeFi.

Home Taping Is Killing The Music Industry! And it's fun.

Boing Boing covers the question of downloading comic books as discussed on Newsarama. My personal opinion? There are Golden Age stories that are not in print, DC has no plans to ever reprint them, and buying the individual issues would bankrupt me. I have no moral problem downloading those stories, as I will buy any reprint DC puts out and if I ever have the money I'd buy the originals, too. I have serious issues with more modern books, however, and especially with any book that's actually in print. But go read the discussion, there's some stuff there I hadn't thought through. Some of the arguments remind me of Eric Flint's comments on the Baen Free Library. In short, free samples are good (and Baen proved that), so maybe more publishers should be thinking about putting them out themselves instead of letting pirates provide an inferior product. And, closer to home, I'm reminded of Studio Foglio's efforts to "keep their books in print" by providing issues 1 & 9, the sold out issues, free on their website.

How to knit dim sum. Knitting is really big right now. If you can't knit, you aren't hip. I'm not hip.

While I'm not sure why you'd want pictures of a urinal on your website, the efforts of some places to keep their name off the site are depressing.

Ok, that's more than enough for one entry. I'm sure I'll post more later, even if the snow doesn't keep me away from work.

0 comments: