Sunday, January 23, 2005

A Buncha Random Thoughts

Steve Jackson Games is getting into the digital distribution game, offering PDF files of many of their books on-line. In addition, these books don't have any annoying DRM that might make them difficult to use. Once you buy the file, you don't have to worry if you lose your download, as they will keep a record of your purchases and you can download them at need.

Q. Are the files in e23 copy protected?
A. No. That would interfere with your use of them. We just have to hope that we can sell enough to honest people to make up for what gets stolen by the kiddies and cheapskates.

Q. Can I repost these files so others can use them?
A. No. Please don't. The only way we can afford to do this is if people are honest, and don't "share" (that is, steal) our files, or use files posted by the "sharers."

Via Boing Boing.

Speaking of sharing, the Supreme Court will hear the case against P2P on March 29th. This will decide if P2P software is legal in the United States, or if the fact that it can be used illegally will make it illegal.

If you want to travel in Norway, don't go to MapPoint for directions.

Yahoo reports that we're robot-izing war. I'm for things that keep our guys out of the line of fire. Surely it's safer to operate a remote unit for the really dangerous missions, and our own soldiers are less likely to be trigger happy if their own lives aren't on the line. These aren't really autonomous robots, by the way, these are remote controlled drones. Via Warren Ellis.

A nice transcript of a Blackadder/Shakespeare skit. I wonder if anyone has this on tape? Via Various and Sundry.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Girl Genius #14 after reading this: "Phil has finally got to the page in Girl Genius issue 14 that he's been waiting for, so he's having quite a time. This would be our first view of some "wild" Jagermonsters, and it's a scene that he's been looking forward to drawing for a while."

In addition, on the Girl Genius mailing list, Kaja said "In Aaron's comic book, Zodon's rival, Victor von Fogg, is based on my real-life kid, who was taught very early on (by Cheyenne and Savannah, as a matter of fact) to say "Fools, I will destroy you all!" Very cute from a two-year-old. Putting references to our colleagues in our work is kind of how cartoonists say "hi." Apparently Aaron plans on saying "HI" in a big way next issue, and then hiding somewhere safe for a while. I'm wondering what he's up to." Which means I'm also really looking forward to the next PS238. You can see a picture of Experiment #1 on my Troll page, or here (direct link to one picture of him). Hmmm, Victor von Fogg = Experiment #1... I think I can see it.

Polite Dissent's contest is still going. I'm just not sure how to fit Spiro Agnew in... As for my own contest, I've got the entries in a file without the names and I'm trying to make decisions. This is going to be really hard for me to decide. I may have to call in some expert help.

0 comments: