Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Ooops

I made a mistake in my last Aquaman review. Not a huge one, mind you, but a funny one because I really should have noticed this.

When I was a kid, we had some very cool art books and illustrated stories. One of my favorite games was to find the signature of the artists in the books. I learned that certain artists signed all their pieces with the same symbol and I loved going through the books and finding them. I should have played that game with Patrick Gleason's covers.

This is not just any old skull:

If you look closely, you can see that it says "PAT" in it. And it's not the only one that's shown up...

In Aquaman #21, you can see it on the robber's duffel bag in the promotional cover, but in the final cover it's covered up by the word "Heist!" Note that the "P" is also being used as an eyepatch.

Aquaman #22 is even more interesting, as you can see it in the waves at the bottom of the promo image:

But in the final cover image, it's been moved to the left side of the action:

It took me quite awhile to locate the one on Aquaman #23, and I never could confirm it was in the promo cover. But on the final cover, it's right at the bottom of the image:

I only found it on the promo cover of Aquaman #24, it is on a bit that got cut off of the final cover. In this one, it looks like inker Christian Alamy's signature is also there. The same signature also appeared on the cover of Aquaman #22.

Aquaman #25 has nothing more than a suspicious looking shape, and the same N' that shows up whenever Christian Alamy's signature also appears. But the signatures themselves aren't evident.

Looking ahead, the Aquaman #27 and Aquaman #28 promos have it prominently in the lower right corner:

I cannot find it in the promo cover to Aquaman #29, though.

Anyone else spot it there? It's been on every other Gleason Aquaman cover in some form or another...

0 comments: