Thursday, January 13, 2005

Rapid Reviews - 12 January 2005 - Part I

Aquaman #26: "Retroverse One": I was expecting to be disappointed. Completely disappointed, in fact. And as I started to read, and got through the first page, I thought my worries were justified. I was ready to chuck the book right then, but as usual I kept reading. And was surprised. The set-up is actually interesting! The usage of Geist is well-done! Lorena is referred to as "Aquagirl" for the first time in the book, and actually seems threatening! My hopes kept lifting right up until the last pages, when I came crashing back down to earth again. Of course. How obvious. I get what's happened now. Right. Same old, same old. The final page confirmed it. Even as I started to feel disappointed again, I felt a bit of guilt that I am disappointed. After all, Arcudi did a much better job with this than I expected. He pulled a fast one on me, and it worked. I enjoyed the book. I shouldn't criticize because I don't like the identity of the villain.

Ok, a few more thoughts before I figure out how to rate this one. First off, notice the artwork. There are several places where the plot is given a little boost by the art. Two in particular spring to mind. The first is where Lorena bursts in on the council meeting. Note the glowing shapes circling the head of the thing she's riding. Hmm, what does that remind me of? (spoilers)(end spoilers) The other bit is on the cover. Look to the left, near Lorena's wrist.

Looks like a skull to me. An indication, perhaps, that Lorena in this issue is leaving death in her wake. I didn't notice that in the preview image, although it's definitely there. I need to study the covers more closely while Gleason is doing them. Heck, I plan on going back over all the artwork a bit more closely. Gleason's work is full of surprises.

Ok, ok. I've got to rate this. I'm still not pleased with the villain, but to be honest, Arcudi hasn't given me any reason to not like this issue beyond that. I felt that joy while reading this issue that I haven't felt for a few months. I have to give this one four starfish... and hope that the next issue is as good or better. 4 starfish

0 comments: