Monday, March 07, 2005

Flipping Through Previews...

Yes, it's that time again... time for "Things in Previews That Look Interesting But I Can't Afford To Get (with a list of things I am getting just for contrast)". I'm going to start with the bulk of the book, and then come back and cover the "big four" at the end. Please remember, I'm listing what looks interesting. My actual purchase list is going to be much smaller. The numbers after each title are usually the page number in Previews Magazine, so you can follow along at home.

Let's start with the covers. I'm not sure why the Green Lantern cover gave me chills the first time I saw it. I was expecting it, after all. But hey, Jordan is back! The other cover is... well, the action figure is impressive in detail, but I'm just not impressed overall.

Moving on, let's hit the Splash Page (8-9). Nothing really catches my eye. Just the same old stuff.

Now until May I'll be talking about Free Comic Book Day (12-15). Again, if you are a regular customer and want to get these, offer to PAY for them, since the retailer does not get them for free. Most of them are between 10-20 cents, which is worth it for a regular reader. While I intend to get one of each, the ones I really want to get my hands on are Beckett Comics' Ronin Hood of the 47 Samurai #1, Gemstone's Walt Disney's Uncle Scrooge, G.T.Labs' Bone Sharps, Cowboys, and Thunder Lizards, and Renaissance Press' Amelia Rules #0.

Skipping over the Premier section for the moment, I hit Wizard's stuff (188-194). While I'm mildly interested in Toyfare's Cartoon Network coverage, mostly it's just the same old stuff.

The Comics & Graphic Novels Featured Items pages (196-199) have a couple of things of interest. I think I might get Hero Squared #1 by Giffen and DeMarreis, though I'm not positive about it. I've always like Gasoline Alley, and the new collection Walt & Skeezix Vol 1 looks intriguing. It might be fun to read the original old strips.

Turning the page, the full-page ad on 201 not only looks familiar, but makes me want to get it even more...

Buy TSSTG Vol 2

If you are the least bit romantic at heart, you will order this book. Shop owners: Get multiple copies for the shelf.

Ahem. Moving on. AAA Pop Comics (202) has the next volume of The Golden Plates this month. I actually don't recognize the scene on the cover, so my curiousity is piqued. I'm looking forward to revisiting these tales from my childhood.

Adhouse Books has a neat looking one-man anthology Zig Zag #1 (204). If not for the price, which seems a bit steep for a 32 page book, I might give it a shot.

Adv Films (205-216) once again provides a whole lot of manga for the teens. And once again, not one book jumps out at me.

Alias (217-228) also puts in a long set of ads. The ones that jump out at me include Isis, just because of my general interest in ancient Egypt, and Pakkins Land #2, since we ordered the first issue. I won't be getting Isis.

Sandwiched in between Alias' ads and Alias' regular solicits is AiT/Planet Lar (226). If you are a retailer, trust me: buy at least one shelf copy of each of the books offered this month. At least one. And point them out to any female that comes into the shop or any guy with a girlfriend who might want to try comics, or any guy who isn't too testosterone-laden to enjoy a great romantic tale. Heck, buy two or three copies, especially of "Chances Are..."

I don't know what to say about AP Comics book on page 238: Mr T #1. I'm sure not saying anything about pitying anyone. They also have a couple of other new offerings this month, including Dark Mists #1, set in 1936 Kyoto Japan, and The Gloom #1 set in 1940's Manhattan.

There's another issue of Futurama Comics from Bongo (256). Yeah, we'll be getting it.

New publisher Boom Studios (257-258) arrives on the scene with Giffen and DeMatteis' Hero Squared #1. Again, I wouldn't mind getting this one. I enjoyed the preview copy of the zero issue I got from Atomeka Press.

Comics Conspiracy (263) will get some of our money this month for Generic Mini-Series #2.

Dork Storm Press (283) manages to amuse me even more than normal, if that's possible, with a clear homage to 'Doctor Who' on the cover of PS238 #12. If that wasn't enough, the second collection PS238 Volume 2: To the Cafeteria... For Justice! is also being offered. I HIGHLY recommend this series to any and all superhero fans.

Drawn & Quarterly (284) is offering Walt & Skeezix, the collection of Gasoline Alley strips. It will be a 400 page hardcover book for $30. Tempting.

Exhibit A Press (292) is offering the first issue of Supernatural Law in a new printing. I'm thinking this is something to get.

The third issue of Dorothy is solicited this month from Illusive Productions. The painted cover is by Dave Dorman.

Kandora Publishing (312) adds another book to their listing with Savage World #1. I think I'll likely stick with Barbarossa and the Lost Corsairs.

Layne Morgan Media (314) presents the final issue of Chickasaw Adventures. Like so many minis nowadays, I haven't seen the first issue yet, but I'll go ahead and buy it anyway.

The next issue of The Phantom is coming out from Moonstone Books (318).

Of even more interest to me is NBM Publishing's Papercutz line (318-319), which has added Zorro to the lineup, along with Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew, both of which are soliciting their second collections.

NBM Publishing is also the publisher of Cryptozoo Crew, which I have to review the first issue of soon. There are samples on the website, so check it out.

Pantheon Books (323) is soliciting the next Marjane Satrapi book. Remember Persepolis? This book, Embroideries goes into the *ahem* "sex lives of Iranian women."

Ok, this title just cracks me up: Dracula vs King Arthur from Silent Devil Productions (326). Not something I'm likely to get, but the concept is interesting... Vlad Tepes makes a deal with the devil and is sent back in time as Dracula to battle King Arthur. heh.

Still no new Akiko from Sirius. Just more reprints.

Speakeasy Comics (329-334) has two books I plan on getting. Yes, I was pulled in by the concept of Beowulf and plan on giving it at least three issues. Same with The Grimiore, I'll give it a few issues. None of the other Speakeasy Comics really interest me.

I can tell I'm getting near the end...

Viper Comics (358) once again has Oddly Normal, which I will be getting. Otis Frampton left a nice comment on one of my previous Flipping posts, and directs everyone to the Oddly Normal Preview. After reading it, I'm certain that the choice to get it was a good one.

And that's it for the main listings! Another month down! All that's left are the big four and the merchandise, so anyone uninterested in the mainstream can stop reading now.

Nothing in Magazines I care to mention, but the Books have a couple of items of interest. The Salmon of Doubt (386) by Douglas Adams may fascinate folks. I like the solicit: "Culled posthumously from... Douglas Adams' fleet of beloved Macinosh computers..." Nice visuals there. I also noticed The Thackery T Lambshead Pocket Guide to Eccentric & Discredited Diseases which I saw in a bookstore the other day. In the super-hero section is Heroes of the DC Univserse Ultimate Sticker Book (391) which appears to have "over 60 reusable full color stickers". If that doesn't float your boat, try Villains of the DC Universe Glow-In-The-Dark Sticker Book (392).

I like the new Doctor Who T-shirts in the Apparel section (425). I think I would like the Dalek shirt the most, but the Cybermen shirt with Tom Baker isn't bad.

In the poster section, I noticed the Charlie & The Chocolate Factory poster (481). I have to admit that I hate the Willy Wonka movie from way back when, because when I first saw it as a child I thought all the bratty kids were killed, and had nightmares about them for a long time after.

So that's enough... time to jump back to the beginning of the book to hit the "big four"

Marvel Comics (178) is the usual stuff. I think I'll be getting Incredible Hulk #81, Shanna, The She-Devil #4, Strange #6, Amazing Spider-Man #520, and Powers #11.

Image Comics (133-176) is a bit more difficult, as usual. I'm interested in Hero Camp #1 (142) which seems to be borrowing some mojo from PS238 in that the main character is a non-powered son of super-powered parents. But what really gets me is the name of the camp: Camp Enokchuk. Heh. It's a four issue mini, and it has a chance of making the list. PVP #0 (146), being only 50 cents, will make the list. Lullaby: Wisdom Seeker #4 (155) features a twisted version of Oz's Tin Man. This series has the potential to really stink. Next up is Noble Causes #11 (157) which is my favorite new super-opera series. And hey, The Pact #2 (158) is also coming out, which features the Noble's vacation home. And not a thing in the Top Cow section interests me.

Next we hit Dark Horse (21-56). Still loving the Conan books, and I'll be getting both the regular book Conan #16 (26) and the mini Conan and the Jewels of Gwahlur #2 (27). I'll admit that the solicit to Concrete: The Human Dilemma #6 (30) makes me want to go find all the Concrete stories and read the whole lot even more. But I won't be getting it this time, instead I'll get Usagi Yojimbo #84 (30) which will no doubt be excellent and interesting. I'm wondering how many volumes of Samurai Executioner (38) there will be. I'm enjoying them, but I do wonder. Not as many as Lone Wolf and Cub, right?

And finally, DC Comics.

Batman (64-70): I just skipped the movie stuff, as I'll be skipping most of the Batman section itself. The cover to Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight #191 is interesting, but I've always liked Mr. Freeze. But that's about all that catches my eye.

Superman (71-78): I'm mildly intrigued by Superman: Infinite City, but not enough to pay $25 for it.

DC Universe (79-97): Aquaman #30 looks good, with the use of strands of DNA as chains, I wonder just what sort of plot twist to expect. I'm definitely warming up to Arcudi's writing. Bird of Prey #82 will also make the list. We ended up ordering the first issue, so we'll probably get Day of Vengeance #2.

I'm sad to see it ending, but I will get Fallen Angel #20. There's also a decent chance I'll be picking up The Flash #222, though no promises. I suspect hubby-Eric would have grounds for divorce if I didn't get Green Lantern #1, so I'll get it.

Speaking of Green, I'll stick with Green Arrow #50. I can hardly believe it's hit fifty issues. I'm annoyed that Aquaman didn't make the cover of JLA #114, but not surprised. I'll get it, yeah. And JLA Classified #7. Nice cover to JSA #73. And Legion of Super-Heroes #6 is on the pull list now.

Other books I'll be getting from this section include Plastic Man #16, Teen Titans #24, Outsiders #24, The Rann/Thanagar War #1, Seven Soldiers: Shining Knight #2, Seven Soldiers: Guardian #2, and maybe, just maybe Villains United #1

Johnny DC (98-100): More no-brainers. I'll be getting The Batman Strikes! #9 and Justice League Unlimited #9. I like the cover to Looney Tunes #126, but I won't get it. Probably.

DC Library (101-108): I'm including CMX, 2000 AD, and Humanoids in this category. I continue to find nothing of interest in it.

Wildstorm (109-119): Nothing for me.

Vertigo (120-127): Again, nothing.

DC Direct (128-132): GAH! A drought of Aquaman for months and months, then they have to put out TWO Aquaman figures (and a Black Manta figure) in one month. Do they hate me or something? While I fully plan on getting these, paying for them might be an issue.

Luckily, the JLA set isn't out until earlier September, and the Aquaman and Black Manta figures aren't due out until late September. So I might manage to save up enough pennies by then.

Notes I've seen indicate the JLA Set will retail at about $40. If we get it, I'll probably split it up and sell the Wonder Woman, Batman, and Superman figures while keeping Aquaman and Green Lantern. The Alex Ross figures will retail at about $16-20 each, and it looks like I can order them individually, though I'll have to check with my retailer about them to be sure.

So that's it for this month's "Things in Previews That Look Interesting But I Can't Afford To Get (with a list of things I am getting just for contrast)". Comments? Questions? Did I miss any really cool books that you know about and would like to point out? Do you disagree with something I wrote, and want to correct me? There's the comments, right below. Post something. And, yes, I accept review copies. I'm willing to give almost anything a try.

0 comments: