Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Rapid Reviews - 13 July 2005

Angel: The Curse #2: Angel meets the Rom, and starts to get along with them. Unfortunately for me, there are some pieces of continuity I seem to be missing, including whatever happened with Jenny Calendar and her uncle. Eventually I will watch the whole series. But for now, a tiny bit is lost thanks to my lack of knowledge. Still, very promising. 2 1/2 starfish

Hero Camp #3: "Don't Fear The Reaper": When the goat-dude gets hunted by El Chubacabra, Eric and another hero help him out. This concept is done better and funnier by PS238. 2 starfish

Batman Strikes! #11: "Man of Service": A somewhat disjointed story about Alfred and the Penguin and some umbrellas. I'm reminded again of why I'm inclined to drop this book. 2 starfish

Seven Soldiers: Guardian #3: "Siege At Century Hollow": While the idea of a model that reduces world statistics to 100 representatives is interesting... having robots play the roles and opening the place up as a theme park is an even more interesting idea. Leave it to Morrison to pull something like this out of the hat. The return of the Newsboy Legion was also strange and interesting... but the cliffhanger really made this issue. I think I sat up and said, "Now we're getting somewhere." 3 starfish

Rann/Thanagar War #3: "Planetfall": I just can't keep all the planets involved in this mess straight. Add in the mystical bad guy dude who is battling Kyle Lantern and this is just too confusing to follow. Three more issues of this mess. I'm not sure I'll bother to read the rest. I wonder why I ordered them. 1 1/2 starfish

JLA #116: "Crisis of Conscience part two": So the whole Identity Crisis thing finally comes to a head with the Justice League confronting Batman. I think this one works for me... It just seems to be better thought out than most Crossovers. 2 1/2 starfish

Green Arrow #52: "Identity Crisis... Again": Speaking of Identity Crisis, this one clearly happens before the JLA issue. Someone knows GA's identity and he reacts the way Green Arrow would react. Not bad. 2 1/2 starfish

Brontes Infernal Angria #1: "The Great Escape": This comic book reminds of Narnia and Oz, with a historical bent. Geary's artwork is strange and appropriate for this book. I'm very curious to see how this one goes. 3 starfish

Yeah, only two more weeks to read and review, and then I'm caught up! Huh? What's that? New comics tomorrow? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

0 comments: