Friday, August 05, 2005

Rapid Reviews - 3 August 2005

Phantom #8: "The Aviatrix" part 2 of 2: Another solid issue, but this one builds on the last one, so if you haven't read issue seven, don't even try this issue. Still, good artwork, strong story, and a fun sense of the Phantom's history made this two-issue arc the best this book has had yet. Definitely worth a look. 3 1/2 starfish

PVP #0: A nice introductory book to PvP, with a bonus section on the origins of Skull the Troll. Definitely worth picking up. And it's only 50 cents. Go get it. 3 1/2 starfish

Simpsons Classics #5: Another set of Simpsons Comics reprints, another bit of typical Simpsons stories. I'm not entirely sure, in fact, why I'm reviewing this. I'll just say what I always say. If you like the Simpsons, this is worth getting. If you are indifferent or don't like the Simpsons, don't get this. 2 1/2 starfish

Opposite Forces Vol 2 #1: I've read this story before! Yes, it's a reprint... but it's in color and, if I'm not mistaken, a little cleaned up as well. If you never got the chance to check this one out when it first appeared, give this issue a chance. It's only 75 cents, and well worth that much. 3 starfish

Superman #220: "Home": Oh goody. I at least have a clue what's up with Superboy because I've read the recent Teen Titans. And for that matter, I know what's up with Superman because I read three of the four parts about his recent problem. So I'm actually almost entirely clued in on this one. Except for why the Fortress is trashed, and what's John Henry doing there, and why is he calling himself a former superhero... Not awful, but still not wonderful. 2 1/2 starfish

Detective Comics #809: "To the Victor Go the Spoils: War Crimes part 1": Uh. I could have sworn that in the last issue, Batman was deep undercover. Now there's something about Spoiler (is she dead?!??) and pretty much no sign of the previous storyline, that I can see. And the back-up story is still mildly ok. I'm just confused. 1 1/2 starfish

DC Special: The Return of Donna Troy #3: "Knights of The Sun and Moon": Certainly the best issue so far, as the Titans attempt to wake Troia or whatever her name is this week from her stupor. This one hangs together much better and explains the characters better than the previous two. I wouldn't give this to a new reader, though. You would get it thrown back in your face. 2 1/2 starfish

JSA #76: "In Search Of...": I love the cover. I think the new Mr Terrific is my favorite JSA character after Ma Hunkel. Speaking of, she shows up in this one too. All the various annoying parts of the crossover are coming together in this issue, which is also the trial of Al Rothstein. The last page relies a bit on continuity, but I know the name. Wouch. 3 starfish

Justice League Unlimited #12: "Old School": Oh, this one was GREAT. The petulant brat making Jay feel miserable, the great trap for Wally. Oh, this one just rocked all the way through. I was mildly irritated by the Bionicle mini-comic in the middle of the book, but that was really the only sour point in the whole thing. I want more books like this one. 4 starfish

Justice #1: On the first glance, I wasn't sure who was having the nightmares, but it didn't take me long to figure out who that eye belonged to once I read a little further. Whoo. What a story. And, excuse me, but what an AQUAMAN... rrrrrrr! Give me a topless Aquaman any day if that's how Ross draws him. *cold shower* Anyway. I liked this issue. Alex Ross art can be a little too "strike a pose" at times, but I think he did a good job on this one. I love the profiles in the back, as well. And his Aquaman... that panel of him next to the one where he's putting on his tunic... rrrrrr! This one gets an extra starfish just for the eye-candy. 4 starfish

Aquaman #33: "What The Past Remembers": Great cover. I think this qualifies as my favorite cover since the series began, but don't quote me on that.

The interior artwork is different, guest art team? I ought to write up a page about the current Aquaman series like I suggested doing for the Wonder Woman book... "Esther is a reporter, Aquaman has the hots for her." Right, anyway. This issue is mildly better than the last few. Either I'm getting used to the quality, or it's getting better. I need a second opinion on that, so feel free to comment. So, getting back to the story, I really like what Arcudi is doing with Manta here, but I'm not at all happy with the Atlantis side of things. However, the bits and pieces are being explained... more slowly than I'd like, but at least they are being explained. I think my biggest complaint is Tempest's attack. It didn't seem terribly Tempest-like, in any form. Still, any improvement with this book is good. 2 1/2 starfish

0 comments: