Friday, August 05, 2005

Review Copy Reviews

Nothing Left To Lose: This one got sent to me by Water Media Books, and I wasn't at all sure what to make of it. There's a strange tale of an evil corporation testing something sinister... I'm not entirely certain I understood the ending, especially the demise of two of the characters, but it was very interesting anyway. I wouldn't recommend it to the casual reader, but if you are looking for something non-superheroey to try, you might give this one a glance. 2 starfish

Claypool Comics sent me two "Jump-in" issues, Soulsearchers And Company #70 and Deadbeats #70. I'm sad to report that I was pretty much unable to get through Soulsearchers. The whole thing never clicked for me. There just seemed to be too much backstory to even try to understand it all. Deadbeats had better art, but was on a subject matter I don't like much at all. I'm just really tired of Vampires in any form. So neither of these get a rating from me.

The Annotated Wondermark: I knew I was going to enjoy reading this book within the first few pages, as the book carefully directs the reader to rotate the book 90 degrees. Heh. I wasn't sure at first, considering that the art is just recycled classic art with new captions. But it's a remarkably funny comic, and the extra material in the back is informative enough without being too snarky. In any case, you folks ought to check out the on-line version to see if it's too your taste. This is a nice package. 3 starfish

0 comments: