Monday, September 12, 2005

Flipping Through Previews...

AAAAAUUUGGGGGHHHHH!!!!Yes, it's that time again... time for "Things in Previews That Look Interesting But I Can't Afford To Get (with a list of things I am getting just for contrast)". I'm going to start with the bulk of the book, and then come back and cover the "big four" at the end. Please remember, I'm listing what looks interesting. My actual purchase list is going to be much smaller. The numbers after each title are usually the page number in Previews Magazine, so you can follow along at home.

Let's start with the covers. I have no problem with the back cover, of Superman sitting on a cloud from All Star Superman. But the front cover showing Witchblade is just embarrassing. I hate having it lying around the house.

On page 3 there is a full-page ad for Mercury Comics which is now publishing Atomika. I don't get the book, but the ad... nice logo with date (Dec 2005) against stark black background, stood out enough to notice.

Moving on, let's hit the Splash Page (8-9). Harlequin Romances are going Manga, says the first article. Now, if they can draw in the Harlequin crowd, that will be impressive. That's a fairly large chunk of the female reading public, sadly enough. Also of interest is Local, of which I've read and reviewed the first issue.

On page 12 and 13 there are "gift ideas", and on page 13 is a Justice League Aquaman paperweight. Gotta have it.

Ok, time to skip ahead in the book... past the "top four" and into the Wizard (190-197) section. Apparently the Twisted Toyfare Theatre collections are doing really really well, as they are now on volume six. Right.

Ok, into the Featured Items section (198-201). If there is enough money to get it, I'm getting Five Fists of Science from AiT/Planet Lar. No need to feature this one... More on that in a bit. The George Perez Art Book looks cool, but I'll have to pass. I originally intended to skip the new mini Angel: Old Friends, but the first mini is really very good, and I like Angel, so I may indulge after all. And, of course, there's no question that Local will make the list.

Page 202 is an ad for the Titans Companion which I would love to get, but I want the JLA one first.

On page 208 there's another cheer for Five Fists of Science, this time a Staff Pick. I don't think this book is being overpromoted. It looks like fun. I won't know for sure until I hold it in my hands, but it really looks like a LOT of fun. And on page 213 we finally get to the actual solicit for it, from AiT/Planet Lar. Mark Twain, Nikola Telsa, J.P. Morgan, and Thomas Edison battling it out in New York? I'm so there. I'm a little jolted by the price ($17.95), but I'm hoping we can swing this one this month. And, in case you weren't convinced by the promotion, there's some art samples on page 214.

Alias (214-221) has the usual sampling of books, but Lullaby #3 is the one that will make our list. I'm slightly interested in Ed's Terrestrials and Daniel, but not enough to spring for them.

Next up is Antarctic Press (225-229) and the can't-miss Oz: The Manga #6. An excellent series so far, I'm looking forward to seeing the rest.

We'll no doubt get Futurama Comics #22 from Bongo (246).

Checker Book Publishing (248-250) has Star Trek: The Key Collection Vol 5. I can't remember if we ordered the last one or not. *sigh* I would get it if the money allowed.

While I'm not interested in Classics Illustrated Jr's (250) slipcase sets, I will note that volume 2 apparently has the Wizard of Oz reprint in it.

Dementian Comics (258) has a vaguely interesting sounding book called Nothing Better. I'd want to see more of it before buying, but it might be worth checking out.

Digital Manga (269-271) has a book about Helen Keller in their new Edu-Manga line. Apparently Astro Boy helps readers learn about famous people in the new line. Your mileage may vary.

I mentioned Penguins on Ice from ibooks (286) when it was first solicited. And I'll mention it again even though I doubt I can afford it.

Ice Kunion (287-289) intrigues me. Antique Gift Shop sounds really good, but I'm not buying it without seeing some sample artwork. This is Manhwa, from Korea. The website loads very slowly, but has a few samples for their other books.

I keep coming back to IDW Publishing (291-297). I originally planned on not getting the second Angel mini, but now... well, it looks like this mini will tell us more of what happened at the end of the TV series, so I'll be getting it.

Hmm, another new player? Narwain Publishing (303-308) appears to have some good offerings. In addition to a preview book called, appropriately enough, Narwain, there is a strange book about criminals called Free Fall and another about a teenager called Jenna. The website has a little more information. This could be a good one, so watch this company.

Yes, hubby-Eric and I will continue to get The Tick: Days of Drama.

Oni Press (309-313) recently managed to get on my good side by sending me a copy of Local #1, which was excellent as I would expect it to be. Because the copy I got was not the finished product, I'll be ordering the book. I do recommend it. Now I'm curious about NorthWest Passage again, and wonder if I ought to order it.

Panini has another volume of Doctor Who strip reprints from Doctor Who magazine. I need to figure out which ones of these we've ordered...

Titan Publishing (329) stopped hubby-Eric when he flipped through Previews with Real Ghostbusters Volume 1. I'm not sure if he wants to get it, but it looks like a little bit of fun. I'm also intrigued by Charley's War on the same page, but without a lot more information I won't be ordering it.

As I mentioned, I would love to get The Titans Companion, but I think I want The Justice League Companion first, from TwoMorrows Publishing (354).

And lastly, for the comic book section, Zenescope (371-372) continues to provide some fodder for the imagination. We didn't end up buying the titles, but I think these are worth a second look. If anyone gets them, please tell me what you think.

And into the back of the book we go... tra-la-la-la-la...

Page 481: Justice League Aquaman Mini-Paperweight. Yup, gotta get it. I'm actually glad that there isn't a lot of Aquaman merchandise because if there were, I would never be able to get much of any of it.

WizKids Games (506-507) has a new Heroclix expansion, this time a Marvel one. I still need to get my hands on a Namor heroclix.

Two DVDs leapt out at me on page 519. The first was Redwall: The Movie. I didn't realize a movie had been made. I wonder if it's any good? The second was the new Wallace & Gromit in Three Amazing Adventures DVD, which includes the Cracking Contraptions shorts. I wonder if Eric will want to get it?

The Wizard of Oz Collector's Edition DVD Set is listed on page 520. I happen to know Eric will be getting that one.

And that gets us through the comics and extras and sends us back to the front of the book to tackle the big four, and thus the bulk of our comic book order...

Dark Horse (17-52) gets to start us off today. Samurai Executioner is the first item I plan on getting. We'll also get Usagi Yojimbo #89. I'm only very mildly interested in Penny Arcade Vol 1, but only to see the original strips. Not enough to actually buy it. I'm also interested in The Perhapanauts. It looks like BRPD on drugs. We might get it. We will be getting Conan and Conan and the Demons of Khitai.

Image Comics (129-175): now that I've read about Colleen Doran, I'm curious about A Distant Soil Vol 4: Coda, but I think I'll rely on the library for the first few volumes and determine if I want to buy them after I've read them. We will be getting Noble Causes #16. But that will be all.

Marvel Comics (178): I dumped Amazing Spider-Man for the duration of the crossover, so I'm not getting that. Supreme Power splintered into two books, so I'm not getting that. In fact, the only thing I'm getting from Marvel this month is Powers #16, and I'd get that regardless of who published it.

And so I've reached the final publisher, the one that will get most of my money this month, as they do every month, DC Comics.

Batman (57-62): Nothing I'll be getting for myself.

Superman (63-67): Nothing I'll be getting for myself.

DC Universe (68-88): Let's start off with Infinite Crisis #2. Power Girl, huh? We'll just have to see if this is any good. I'll get Aquaman #36, Birds of Prey #88, Green Lantern #7, Green Lantern Corps: Recharge #3, Green Arrow #56, JLA #122, JLA: Classified #14, JSA #79, JSA: Classified #5, Legion of Super-Heroes #12, Outsiders #30, and Plastic Man #19.

Things I'm thinking about for one reason or another: Jonah Hex #1 is a book I'm not likely to get, but I am curious about it. If it gets collected, maybe I'll check it out. Day of Vengeance is collected for $12.99. Let's see... I paid $2.50 an issue for the series, which works out to $15 for all six issues. If I had waited, I could have gotten two dollars off. Something to think about. The OMAC Project: I didn't get the mini. Is it worth getting the collection? And lastly, I think I've pretty much dropped Seven Soldiers, so I won't be getting Seven Soldiers: The Bulleteer #1 and Seven Soldiers: Frankenstein #1.

Johnny DC/DC Library/CMX (89-97): Justice League Unlimited #15 is the only thing I'll get.

Wildstorm (98-105): Nothing for me.

Vertigo (106-117): Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere #5. Yes, I'm reading the comic first, then I'll go check out the book and the DVD.

DC Direct (118-128): Remember what I said about being glad there isn't much Aquaman merchandise? HA. The JLA Classified Aquaman Action Figure just sucks me in, doesn't it? I don't know if we'll get the JLA Classified Green Lantern Action Figure or the JLA Classified #1 Poster.

And there it is... all of Previews. I'm finally all the way through. Huzzah. So that's it for this month's "Things in Previews That Look Interesting But I Can't Afford To Get (with a list of things I am getting just for contrast)". Comments? Questions? Did I miss any really cool books that you know about and would like to point out? Do you disagree with something I wrote, and want to correct me? There's the comments, right below. Post something. And, yes, I accept review copies. I'm willing to give almost anything a try.

Note: I've posted a mostly Oz-focused version of this at The Wonderful Blog of Oz.

Previous Flipping Through Previews:

0 comments: