Sunday, November 27, 2005

New Computer

As it's clear that my poor old machine just isn't going to last much longer, I've started moving all my files over to the external drive a friend gave us and I spent pretty much all night last night, until 1 am actually, researching computers. After a couple of hours I began to get a clearer idea of what I wanted, and once I had an idea I started doing price comparisons.

I didn't intend to get a Dell.

I'm not going to bore you with the specs, but I customized it heavily and got a computer that, on paper, is exactly what I want. That actually makes me nervous. I've never had a perfect computer before. It should last me a minimum of five years, unless tech makes even bigger advances than anyone expects. And, yeah, it's another Inspiron. The one I have worked all-out for two years running an operating system more intense than it was designed for, and I have no idea how much work it did before I got it. To say I stretched the specs of my current machine is a major understatement.

This morning, after both hubby-Eric and I had some time to sleep on it, I ordered the new computer. If I understand the shipping info correctly, it should arrive by the 10th of December. Between now and then I need to find all the software I consider essential and make sure everything I want on the new machine is copied to the external drive. For the first time ever, I'm getting a new computer before the old computer had serious harddrive problems and lost data. Also for the first time, I've got a way to get all the data from the old computer to the new one. I'll be able to use this computer a bit longer, I hope, as both a back-up and for time intensive jobs.

Despite the fact that Dell sends computers with software already installed, I intend to wipe the drive and start clean with only the stuff I want. For instance, I know AOL will be installed on the new machine, and after the troubles I had with AOL I want none of their software on my computer. I suppose I ought to go download the latest Open Office and Firefox to install on the new computer, as well.

Until I get the new computer in a couple of weeks, posting might be a bit sparse. It's very difficult to type and read on this computer. I hope to get my reviews written, but the added irritation of having to go back and re-type half my words because the keyboard is too big might delay things.

0 comments: