Sunday, December 11, 2005

Rapid Review - Manga Online

Manga Online, for December 2005. Here's July, August, September, October and November.

I'm not going to review chapters that are continuations of ones I reviewed already and disliked, so if you see it on the page but not in my list, I probably didn't like it much. I'm also keeping new features separate from continuing features.

Another annoyance. The website stopped accepting my password, then refused to send me a replacement one. After nearly a month of trying, I gave up and tried to reregister, but it wouldn't let me use the same e-mail address, so I had to use a different one just to reregister. VERY annoying, especially as you need a membership to read the entire previews now.

Previously Reviewed Titles:

  • Bizenghast, V1Ch6: This is another case where I wish I could read the last chapter to remind me where we are in the story. I don't know if I like this or not.
  • Dogby Walks Alone, V1Ch2: Bizarre. Really really bizarre. I'm not sure what to make of it at all. I recognize the tributes, but it's just bizarre. I'll give it another chapter or two.
  • Dramacon, V1Ch6: Well, this is sort of a cheat, since I already bought the first volume so I'd already finished this one and reviewed it. But this one is still very recommended, and if you can read it for free, so much the better.
  • The Dreaming, V1Ch3: More and more intriguing. I'm really beginning to get interested in this one. I think it may just have to go on my wishlist. That's four books that have made the list, and one I've already bought.
  • Fool's Gold, V1Ch2: Ah, this one's got me too! That's another one to add to the wishlist (that makes five books)! But I can't find it on Amazon yet, so I'll just wait until the next chapter comes out.
  • Idiotz, V1Ch2: Another installment of strange humor, almost fitting the traditional Golden Age stuff I've read, but not quite there. I've got mixed feelings about this one, but I'll give it another chapter or two.
  • Juror 13, V1Ch6: YOW! Now that was not the ending I was expecting at all. But it raises a lot of moral questions, and that's probably a good thing. What I want to know now, is there going to be another volume, or was this it for this series?
  • A Midnight Opera, V1Ch5: More bits that don't make much sense. This book seesaws. I can't tell if I like it or not.
  • Psy-Comm, V1Ch6: Another book that's made my wishlist. I'm still not entirely sure what's happening in this book, but I'm finding myself enjoying the ride.
  • Re:Play, V1Ch3: This one started out pretty nice, then got more mysterious and interesting, and now it's added a bit more mystery. I'm more and more curious about it. The only problem is that I can't read some of the text because it's sooooo tiny, and there's no way to magnify it.
  • Riding Shotgun, V1Ch2: Professional hitmen trying to go from the minor leagues into the major leagues. I'm still not sure about this one. Another one that was hard to read because of size.
  • Roadsong, V1Ch3: Definitely getting Scooby-Doo vibes from this one. Ok, so the pair of band members are on the run from a crooked cop and a murderer, but it's still very much like the old cartoons in its humor and story style, even if the artwork is much much better and the characters are more fleshed out.
  • Sorcerers & Secretaries, V1Ch6: Oooh, that's not the ending I was expecting for this one. I'm glad this one is on my wishlist, but I'm wishing I could see the second volume already.
  • Steady Beat, V1Ch3: What kind of Manga is this anyway? I'm not sure where the story is going, and whether or not I'm enjoying it. I'll give it another chapter or two to find out what is happening.
New Titles:

Only two new ones this month, which is a nice change. I'm almost reading too many of them already.
  • Peach Fuzz, V2Ch1: I think this one would be more interesting if it started from the beginning instead of starting with volume 2, but it's pretty funny despite that. The differences in viewpoints between the little girl and her pet ferret are great, and I'd like to see more of that instead of so much about the girl's popularity problems. Still, I'll keep reading.
  • Sea Princess Azuri, V1Ch1: Any book that starts with a glossary worries me. At least the story itself isn't too bad. Undersea races trying to settle old wars with an arranged marriage... the handsome bodyguard... not completely original in story, but it has some potential.

0 comments: