Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Rapid Review - Marvel Monsters

Marvel Monsters: Where Monsters Dwell: "The Shadow of Manoo": The only reason I bought this book is because Jeff Parker told me I got a namecheck in it.

Vaag

Unfortunately, my shop didn't have any shelf copies, so I had to backorder it, and I'm glad I did. I took it over to my in-laws where they rolled their eyes in amusement as I showed them that the "Vaag" are a parasitic group while the "Gjo" are enforcers chasing them. Well, I was tickled. I've always wanted my name in a comic book someplace other than the letter page.

Gjo

The story itself is great, with a nice twist at the end in the style of classic short monster tales. I enjoyed it a lot... but there were other stories in the book. I wasn't as impressed with the other tales. They were nothing special. The Bombu tale did almost nothing for me, the art in particular bothered me. Monstrollo had potential, but seemed over-the-top, and not in a good way. The Titano tale needed to be taken in the context of being written in the past, or else it was too annoying for words.

Anyway... many thanks to Jeff for the namecheck and the excellent story. For a rating, this falls into my "standard book" rating of 2 1/2 starfish. 2 1/2 starfish

0 comments: