Saturday, January 07, 2006

Review Copy Reviews

I'm well behind on these, but since Boom! Studios was nice enough to send 'em, I'm nice enough to read 'em.

Fused Tales #1: This is an anthology of three stories about a guy who gets trapped inside a robot. Doesn't sound so great, but the stories were very good. The first story deals with the robot helping out in Iraq, the second with a giant squid robot in an underwater fight, and the third with the personal cost of becoming a robot. There is no origin story, but you pick up more than enough to understand what happened to the guy. It's a great little package of tales, well worth seeking out. Especially if you like killer robot action. 3 starfish

10: I'm not big on violence comics. A comic that just shows a bunch of people shooting each other wouldn't normally even blip on my radar, much less get any kind of good rating from me. This one... this one is deeper though. I won't pretend to understand exactly what happened in the comic. I suspect I'd have to read it a couple more times to figure it out. I don't really want to do that, what with the shooting and the violence and all. But it did make me think, and think hard. The situation is both ridiculous and terrifying. What if you got a note like that, a "kill or be killed" note that seemed to indicate a deadly game that you couldn't opt out of but couldn't play? Each person's reaction would be different, and might lead to the situations we see in the book. And, of course, the big question would be "who started it?" Who sent the guns and the notes? An absolutely freaky book. Read at your own risk. 3 starfish

0 comments: