Thursday, May 04, 2006

Rapid Reviews

Yay! I'm up to last week's books! Now I just have to read the stuff that came out yesterday...

26 April 2006

Ion #1: "Torch Bearer Part 1": Kyle's got Jade's powers, and is having nightmares... or is he? I'm not sure what to think about the book. It's cosmic DC, and I'm not really that interested in cosmic DC. Nor does Ion interest me as a character. So I'm just going to have to say this is an average superhero book, and not something I'm keen on. 2 starfish

Villains United Infinite Crisis Special: "A Hero Dies But One": Nicely set-up. I'm not sure when this is supposed to have taken place, since the use of Black Adam in the tower is mentioned, but Black Adam is free. Is this before the events in Infinite Crisis or after? The final showdown is stunning, particularly who the bad guys bring in as their "big gun". I like it, overall. 2 1/2 starfish

Batman #652: "Face the Face part 4": Robin gets some action... no, not that kind. Get yer mind out of the gutter. I very much liked the scene between Batman and Bullock, as well. I'm not sure what's up with Harvey, but that's part of the point now, isn't it? 2 1/2 starfish

Solo #10: "Damion Scott": Definitely not my preferred style of artwork. It's fascinating, and the stories are certainly cool, but the style just isn't quite what I like. 2 1/2 starfish

Warlord #3: The artwork is beginning to irritate me. There are points that I can't really tell who the characters are. That jump right after the fight made me think a new character was being introduced... but it was still the same guy. But I couldn't tell from the artwork, which is just a TAD too sketchy. THere's just not enough story here to get me into this book. 2 starfish

Lullaby #3: It's been so long since the last issue that I can't remember what was happening. Fortunately, the book was gracious enough to remind me. I liked it about as much as I liked the previous issues, which isn't saying too much. It was readable, and there wasn't enough Oz to satisfy me. At least it finally came out. 2 1/2 starfish

Usagi Yojimbo #93: "Chanoyu": I don't think anyone else in the world could have pulled off this book. This is, very simply, the tea ceremony. Nothing else. And yet it's as compelling as any other comic that came out this week. For a rather impressive look at the tea ceremony, just go buy this book. 3 1/2 starfish

0 comments: